Had my first MTB ride yesterday.....N+1 on the horizon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
I'm really confused over sizing now. I just found out my old wreck of a MTB is 19.5" and it feels way too small. I have the seatpost up to the max and the bike just feels cramped. In the store the guy suggested 22.5" in the Trek and tbh that did feel big but the 21.5" I sat on before that felt about right for me. But then again in halfords the 19" boardman comp felt fine, although that is their largest size so I guess the bikes are just bigger than the sizes suggest. :wacko:

n.

Thats why you really need to ride them.

Different manufacturers = different sizes, as with clothing etc.

Boardman are good bikes.

Motozulu

Über Member
It is'nt a given that you will need a full suspension bike - unless you intend some serious down hill riding. I'd say most red trails in the country are entirely rideable on a decent hard tail. The full boinger is a choice thing, not a necessity thing. As for the Boardman MTB's - brilliant bikes.

Tango

Apollo bikes just aren't up to the job and my experience with halfords is that they aren't up to the job either.

Having said that the voodoo Bantu they sell is a sound bike for not much over £300. But get someone else to set it up unless you are confident in the skills at your local halfrauds

It's very easy to be lured into the spend spend spend trap, I know I am sort of there looking out

The main thing is to get a bike you enjoy riding and get out and have some fun :biggrin:

02GF74

Über Member
in olden times, the frame size was from centre of bottom bracket, along the seat tube to the mid point of where the top tube joined it; nowadays it is to the top of the seat tube.

... bu anyways, as I think I said earlier, it is the top tube, measure orizontally that is the more important dimension,

some frames e.g. Kona have short seat tube with a lot of slope so you woulkd be lookking at a frame 12inch smaller, whereas Cube are the opposite so you would be looking at a frame 12 inch larger.

here is how to measure the top tube horizontally.:
Bike%20geometry.jpg

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Personally I know my riding is a long way from reaching, if ever, anything I need full sus for and I'm slow enough(often my deliberate choice) that even front sus isn't really needed. But I do understand the power of the mind and when someone is smitten. Just reading this thread and following your chain of thought I can only see you being happy on a full sus. Your mind's heading that way and it seems as if any hardtail you bought you'd always be thinking what if.

That doesn't mean I think FS is the right technical choice but, unless you test ride enough to persuade yourself otherwise, it is for your current mindset....if you know what I mean.

bianchi1

Guru
Typhoon, if you are in pershore are you using echelon cycles?

Not sure that they deal with mountain bikes but it might be worth an ask, they know their stuff and have always happy to help with advice/stuff whenever I have needed anything.

Otherwise "back on track" bikes in Malvern have a good reputation.

akb

Veteran
I brought a Spesh RockHopper last April for £600. Use it regualarly (once a week) around the local trials and also the local Woburn Sands and Chicksands bike park trails. Also use it as the winter commuter. Have had no problems at all. A great starter MTB imo. £500-600 should get you a decent MTB to learn the skills required. I doubt I will ever upgrade my Rockhopper for what I use it for. It suits me fine.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been mulling things over these past couple of weeks and have made a decision. When I made the OP I was originally looking at hardtails in the £500-600 range as I think that'll be enough for what I want but the guy in the other bike shop swayed me towards a full sussy. After reading your replies though I think my original thought was correct - the hardtail would do me fine.

Unfortunately Echelon does only do road bikes so I have to go further afield. I went into Decathlon after work last week and tried a Rockrider 8.1. Although I am bang in between sizes according to their guide (L and XL) the large seemed to fit me pretty well. I had a little ride around the store and it felt right to me.

At £550 it's about the kind of money I want to spend and from the little I know about MTBs and the lot that I know about Decathlon, it's pretty good spec for the money.

So they may be getting a call in the next few days to set one up for me so I can come and collect it. :smile:

bianchi1

Guru
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've been mulling things over these past couple of weeks and have made a decision. When I made the OP I was originally looking at hardtails in the £500-600 range as I think that'll be enough for what I want but the guy in the other bike shop swayed me towards a full sussy. After reading your replies though I think my original thought was correct - the hardtail would do me fine.

Unfortunately Echelon does only do road bikes so I have to go further afield. I went into Decathlon after work last week and tried a Rockrider 8.1. Although I am bang in between sizes according to their guide (L and XL) the large seemed to fit me pretty well. I had a little ride around the store and it felt right to me.

At £550 it's about the kind of money I want to spend and from the little I know about MTBs and the lot that I know about Decathlon, it's pretty good spec for the money.

So they may be getting a call in the next few days to set one up for me so I can come and collect it. :smile:

I was in Echelon the other day and it looks like they do a couple of the Boardman mountain bikes...but they appear to be 4000 quid!! Rockrider looks like a much better bet.

OP
OP
Typhon

Typhon

I was in Echelon the other day and it looks like they do a couple of the Boardman mountain bikes...but they appear to be 4000 quid!! Rockrider looks like a much better bet.

Ah yes I forgot about those! The Boardman SLR road bikes are very tempting but I can't see myself spending that kind of money on a MTB, not yet anyway!

Top Bottom