1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had Your Bike Stolen? Useful tips for recovery

Discussion in 'Stolen Bikes' started by mossj88, 20 Jan 2013.

1. mossj88

mossj88 Active Member

Bike parts present a problem, best thing you can do is uniquely mark them either visibly or using a UV Pen.

2. sam the biker

sam the biker New Member

I've read that UV Pens are not always great, some rub off, but they are better than nothing.

Apparently there were on average over 1000 bike thefts each day in 2013 in England and Wales alone...

3. mossj88

mossj88 Active Member

UV Pens are okay but as you say they can rub off with time (dependent on location) so remember to renew it.

4. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

5. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Very few forces have the means to check for it though.

6. glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist Bang on!

Really? All it needs is a UV lamp.

GC

7. classic33

I have used it on cameras & lenses and found/noticed that a standard UV light is no guarantee. Some require a specific light wave length to be seen.

8. mossj88

mossj88 Active Member

Agreed, same goes for RFID (they may have the readers but officers I speak to say they rarely use them).

Best bet is frame number and if you want some added protection the Datatag kit which includes 4 UV stencils (which I'm told do get checked for) and enough microdots to mark two bikes (which are less likely to be checked but can be used to mark every component on a bike).

9. mossj88

mossj88 Active Member

To detect but isn't smartwater the one that has a DNA inprint?

10. 0lonerider

0lonerider Veteran

police marked and recorded frame numbers ect free at the skyride newcastle.

11. classic33

No, separate product again. As is the micro dots one.

12. SWC

SWC Regular

I didnt know about the bike search website, very handy.

You can also avoid buying a stolen bike by insisting on taking a copy of, or seeing their ID along with getting a receipt which includes the bikes frame number, & clear description of the bike as i do all the time. also, if something doesnt feel right, then walk. better safe than sorry

13. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

No need to mark anything. A good insurance policy will give you a brand new bike. Sorted.

14. classic33

What would you be willing to accept as ID though?
    Also how would you respond to the same question.?

15. SWC

SWC Regular

No different to going to somewhere like cash converters. I require proof of ID which does not include bank card so drivers licence or recent utility bill etc. i also require seller to fill our purchase form with their address, phone number, & full bike details to include make, model, frame number & colour.