Hahaar! 'Tis International 'Talk Like a Pirate' day me hearties!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Arrrr, and today be Pastafarian holiday me hearties!
IMG_4661.jpeg

For the pirate-impaired community, there are a number of pirate translation apps. Some are free to take at the point of a cutlass, others may cost you several Spanish Doubloons.

Do other nations speak their own version of Pirate or was it just perfideous Albumen?

Further research into this realm reveals that there were Privateers and Buccaneers of Dutch, French, Spanish and Portugese origin who probably did not speak English with a ham Cornish accent.

Last edited:

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Time for this joke then...

What's a pirate's favourite letter of the alphabet?

(Answer, then scroll down...)

Ye be thinkin' 'tis R, but a pirate's true love is always the C.

a.twiddler

Veteran
That be terrible! Bosun! Seize that man! 'Tis worth fifty lashes of the cat! And it be well known that me true love's me parrot! Aar. As true as me name's the Dread Pirate Twiddler.

a.twiddler

Veteran
For the pirate-impaired community, there are a number of pirate translation apps. Some are free to take at the point of a cutlass, others may cost you several Spanish Doubloons.

Do other nations speak their own version of Pirate or was it just perfideous Albumen?

Further research into this realm reveals that there were Privateers and Buccaneers of Dutch, French, Spanish and Portugese origin who probably did not speak English with a ham Cornish accent.

Spoilsport! Piracy does seem to have been one of the original international equal opportunity occupations though. Perhaps inhabitants of certain economically deprived parts of those other countries, who might turn to piracy for a living, had their own distinctive regional accents too? It seems likely that inhabitants of the South West or Western parts of the British Isles were more likely to become seafarers, and thus a percentage to become pirates though. The word buccaneer derives from the French "boucanier" which was a kind of barbecue vessel used by French speaking inhabitants of parts of the Caribbean.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Spoilsport! Piracy does seem to have been one of the original international equal opportunity occupations though. Perhaps inhabitants of certain economically deprived parts of those other countries, who might turn to piracy for a living, had their own distinctive regional accents too? It seems likely that inhabitants of the South West or Western parts of the British Isles were more likely to become seafarers, and thus a percentage to become pirates though. The word buccaneer derives from the French "boucanier" which was a kind of barbecue vessel used by French speaking inhabitants of parts of the Caribbean.

Yes, here in Poole there's a pub called " The Old Harry " ( though the name has changed a few times over the years) after the Pirate Harry Paye. And of course the local Speedway team are " Poole Pirates ". There's also " Harry Paye Day " celebrations on Poole Quay each year. 🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️🏴‍☠️

Top Bottom