Hail from East Hampshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
Hi folks! I came across the forum via Friday Night Ride to the Coast'ers. Oft seen with many a pannier in tow, with the occasional crate of beer, colour laser printer, box of cheesecake or bottle of port on the rack. Portage by default!

Used to have a roadie but got sick of having to fix it - and having to pass up all the little off-road tracks around Petersfield made me cry. I do everything with my Specialized MTB now (currently in fourth stage of "Purchasing a Specialized Bicycle") including work, play, rest, camping, the occasional bout of crashing into garlic patches, complaining about the crap disc brakes it came with and dreaming of the day I can put some pennies to a nice hammock and take it away with a book somewhere nice.

Things I've done with the bike other than carry stuff to be smug:
Cycled & camped to Devon and back during summer 2010. Loved it to bits.
Went back in the winter with home-made snow chains (cheated this time, got train to Exeter) and played with the tiny back roads. Never had so many strange looks - nor overtaken so many abandoned vehicles with aplomb.
Have done 30 odd miles of the South Downs Way and will go back. Must get proper tyres.
Almost got mowed down by a cherry picker trailer that had escaped the van. The wall it hit is looking nice and new, since they rebuilt it.
LOVE THE NEW FOREST!
Did my first Friday Night Ride to the Coast ride in May 2011, from London to Brighton. Did 160 miles in two days with no sleep between! Chuffed with that, but not sure how I did it and survived.
Tried to find what is clearly a UFO landing site marked on an OS map, but failed. Will return soon.
Have played in the Devil's Punchbowl in May 2011. Did consider practical implications of being killed at a few points on the down-hill.
Did I forget to mention the World Naked Bike Ride in Southampton in summer 2010? Oh, I did :tongue:

lilolee

Veteran
I used to live in Pompey and know the South Downs really well. A great ride. And the drop down into the Devils PunchBowl from the Cafe had me poo'ing my pants (I'm crap at downhill).

Certainly sound like you've had fun. Keep it up.

OP
OP
_aD

_aD

I used to live in Pompey and know the South Downs really well. A great ride. And the drop down into the Devils PunchBowl from the Cafe had me poo'ing my pants (I'm crap at downhill).

Certainly sound like you've had fun. Keep it up.

Hmm I must have taken a different route at the Devil's Punchbowl. There's a terrifying drop from a cafe? Sign me up!

OP
OP
_aD

_aD

Not long ago I went on a cycling weekend based in New Alresford. Really lovely countryside round there, with more hills than I was expecting! I got up them all though, unlike the Beacon on Saturday morning which I couldn't get anywhere near. :sad:

I haven't ventured over that way yet, but my Attorney works there and cycles in the good weather, says it's a great place for cycling. If you ever want a cycling buddy for another weekend, let me know!

lilolee

Veteran
Hmm I must have taken a different route at the Devil's Punchbowl. There's a terrifying drop from a cafe? Sign me up!

It was to me, but I'm a wimp. From the cafe, head east about 50m to the fence alongside the A3. It swings directly down into the bowl through trees and then alongside a barbed wire fence with a 90 degree turn. Maybe it's changed as it was 12 years ago.

Top Bottom