Hail James Murdoch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Why 'Oh dear'???

If the Grauniad can recognize that's he's genuinely into cycling and has played a role in the TdF 1-2 this year, then we should celebrate it...

Or were we supposed solely to equate him with the baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells???

Cheddar George

oober member
If someone had told me five years ago that i would be cheering on a Murdoch sponsored team via my subscription to a Murdoch television service i would have laughed in their face.

I'm still not completely comfortable with it, but i have to acknowledge that it has changed british cycling for the better.

There, I've said it ....... can i just say this has been the most humble day of my life.

Without them or some other sponsor willing to pump in the sort of money necessary, it would not have happened. And since only mega-corps can afford to spend that sort of money on marketing, one way or another you are stuck with one of them.

tigger

Über Member
It does seem a little uncomfortable doesn't it? But credit where credit's due on this. Sky's money has definitely helped get more people on their bikes, has given us a British Tour winner and helped produced the best road team in the world. Yes they get fantastic exposure in return but I think a big factor is Murdoch junior's enthusiasm for the sport. Fair play to him, News Corp and Sky on this one I say. Did I mention I WAS THERE and saw him outside the Sky bus on Saturday! ^_^

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I can't for the life of me work out why Sky haven't scooped the UK rights on this. I appreciate that they advertise on ITV all the time, but you'd have thought they'd have the confidence to build a better show around it.

Bloody cyclists!

I already knew they paid no Road Tax and jumped red lights!

Now I'm told they hack mobile phones, distort news coverage of the Far East and objectivise young women in their wicked, wicked newspapers.

Will it never end?

No wonder our jails are so full!

(OT: When I was a courier, we used to deliver to Pennington Street during the disturbances there. I remember a courier getting hit on the petrol tank by a brick, Bizarrely, we were all jealous that he got a souvenir dent and we didn't).

perplexed

Guru
Think of the team kit .... orange helmets, big red shoes .....

And if they sponsored stages, the flamme Rouge would be a large, golden M...

Also, would bidons also carry warnings about the contents being hot? They'd replace musette (sp?) grabbing with a drive cycle through...

beastie

Guru
I can't for the life of me work out why Sky haven't scooped the UK rights on this. I appreciate that they advertise on ITV all the time, but you'd have thought they'd have the confidence to build a better show around it.
Sky HAVE already the rights for satellite broadcasting. It's on Eurosport (which is partly owned by sky!)

Top Bottom