Half decent bar tape!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Has anyone got BLB or brick lane bikes bar tape? I quite like the look of some of there cloth bar tape but wonder what it is like?

newts

Veteran
Wiggle own brand is nice, had this on my trek for almost 3 years.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-professional-bar-tape-with-perforation

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Velox, long lasting (this has been on 20+years) good grip in wet weather but I always wear gloves so padding isn't an issue.

Oh and BTW this isn't grubby, it's actually Black tape that has faded

As part of a bike fit I had done very recently, the bike fitter had to move the hoods on my handlebar and therefore he removed the original bar tape.

I'm not happy with the new bar tape; first thing, it was installed without cleaning the handlebar from the sticky residue from the old tape but hey oh they didn't charge me for the new tape and we were pretty tight on time so I didn't say anything. Second thing, the new tape is some sort of corky one. I don't like the feel of it and it looks cheap as hell.

For these reasons, I want to change the tape. Will be the first time I do it. My question is: how many times did you have to do it before you achieved a reasonably good result?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't worry about the sticky residue, but start from the end of the bar and wind upwards. Reasoning is your hands won't curl over the edges when on the drops. It can look neater from the middle first, but I had issues with the tape edges curling after use.

si_c

Guru
It's not too difficult but it is definitely something that you get better at over time.

As above start at the bar ends and work up, GCN have a couple of videos on how to do it on YouTube.

Would you recommend I start with a cheapo bar tape so if I screw up it's no big deal or should I take the risk and buy a good quality bar tape and hope I do a half decent job? :laugh:

si_c

Guru
Would you recommend I start with a cheapo bar tape so if I screw up it's no big deal or should I take the risk and buy a good quality bar tape and hope I do a half decent job? :laugh:

Take off the tape you currently have on, try it, see if it works, if it doesn't repeat the process. Have a roll of electrical tape on hand.

The trick is to wind it just tight enough to keep it in place but not so tight that you are stretching the tape too much, you eventually get a good feel for it. Cork tape is actually quite forgiving so definitely have a play with what you have right now before getting a more premium tape.

I would normally, but I'm done training hard for a particular event so now I'm mor
Pay your LBS a tenner to do it :whistle:

Until a few weeks ago that's what I would have done, really.

Now that I'm done training for a specific event I've got way more time on my hands so that'd be a good chance to learn how to do it myself :okay:

Top Bottom