Half link chain stretch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Half link chain on my single speed. Wheel is towards the back of the drop out as the chain has "stretched".

Everything running sweet on a Whyte Industries freewheel.

When it stretches so long there is no more adjustment in the drop out, can I remove a link or must I replace the chain?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Replace. It will only stretch so far then it will break.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've recently thrown a half link away, some cog and chainring combinations need a half link in the chain to get the wheel where I want it, I was surprised how much the pin had worn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Half link chain on my single speed. Wheel is towards the back of the drop out as the chain has "stretched".

Everything running sweet on a Whyte Industries freewheel.

When it stretches so long there is no more adjustment in the drop out, can I remove a link or must I replace the chain?
We did on our Rohloff hubs - never caused any issues... Chain got replaced when the sprocket & chainring needed replacing and no sooner.

OP
OP
MossCommuter
We did on our Rohloff hubs - never caused any issues... Chain got replaced when the sprocket & chainring needed replacing and no sooner.
I'm doing that internet thing where I get a load of answers in agreement with one another then get one person suggesting what I wanted to do anyway and doing that, lol

When it's written out the freewheel can have a new sprocket.

Still, there still the nagging concern the chain might snap

Hhhmmm

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm doing that internet thing where I get a load of answers in agreement with one another then get one person suggesting what I wanted to do anyway and doing that, lol

Hhhmmm
Break a chain once and you'll never want to do it again.

Hhhmmm
The chain won't snap. Chain wear is expressed as percentage elongation compared to new. The recommended replacement is 0.5% on a cassette drivetrain and abut 0.7% on a singlespeed bike. That means that the wear in the pin is minimum even on a badly worn chain and hardly weakens it at all. It would be impossible to wear a chain so badly that the pins would shear off. Besides, chains break by coming apart at the rivet heads, not the pins shearing. A poor shift can break a brand new chain open just as easily as an old one. The rivet heads do not weaken from wear.

However, that does not mean you should ride the chain forever. Chain life is in association with sprocket and chainring life. If your chain has worn to the point where it's pitch is a mismatch with the sprocket pitch, it starts to damage the sprocket. The most economical way to manage a drivetrain is to replace the chain at the wear limit. This will enable you to get maximum sprocket life.

On some singespeeds you can flip the rear sprocket around and it is as good as new again. It is prudent to do so unless you have money to waste.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
The chain won't snap. Chain wear is expressed as percentage elongation compared to new. The recommended replacement is 0.5% on a cassette drivetrain and abut 0.7% on a singlespeed bike. That means that the wear in the pin is minimum even on a badly worn chain and hardly weakens it at all. It would be impossible to wear a chain so badly that the pins would shear off. Besides, chains break by coming apart at the rivet heads, not the pins shearing. A poor shift can break a brand new chain open just as easily as an old one. The rivet heads do not weaken from wear.

However, that does not mean you should ride the chain forever. Chain life is in association with sprocket and chainring life. If your chain has worn to the point where it's pitch is a mismatch with the sprocket pitch, it starts to damage the sprocket. The most economical way to manage a drivetrain is to replace the chain at the wear limit. This will enable you to get maximum sprocket life.

On some singespeeds you can flip the rear sprocket around and it is as good as new again. It is prudent to do so unless you have money to waste.
Slightly different on a half link chain, the link sides straighten out giving an indication of premature wear. Take a link out, you'll be fine.

Top Bottom