half link chains are brill!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
And they look ace as well.

Radius

SHREDDER
Perhaps an overzealous statement, but those are the reports I've heard of riders running halflink chains. If you can't get the magic gear though, it may well be your only option

RedBike

I'm glad the bikes finally sorted. Did you find your creak?

As for purring. lol, the thing I like most about the fixie is that it is completely silent!

kyuss

Veteran
Radius said:
Until they break, and stretch at about double the speed of a normal chain.

Not sure about the breaking but I'd wholeheartedly agree with the stretching. Mine was fit for the bin after only 400 or so miles. Took a chainring with it on it's way out too (though that seemed to be made from cheese). Bloody noisy it was as well.

kyuss

Veteran
Well, mine was a Gusset Slink. Pretty cheap to be honest but I was shocked at how quickly it wore out. I guess more expensive ones might be more durable.

I'm not sure of the exact science but I believe chain stretch on half links chains is something to do with the fact that they are essentially an inner and outer plate in one link and although the wear on the pins (which is what causes the stretch) is the same on both a regular chain and a half link, with a half link you're spreading the wear across 1/2 inch instead of 1 inch so the stretch effect is doubled.

Or something like that.

OP
OP
Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
chain stretch doesn't matter to me, i have a tensioner fitted. for me it's great. redbike, no not yet, need to get out on wet day so the caked on mud will soften so i can clean and strip properly, i think you may be right about the breaking from the rear suss links. i sprayed a bit of wd40 and it wasn't as noisy.

as for trashing a chain and ring more often. bear in mind i was running full xtr set up which cost a bloody fortune so even if i go thru 5 a year i'm still quids in.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
They look pretty shitty anyway i think.
Normal chain looks much more elegant.
Might just be me though........

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
shauncollier said:
chain stretch doesn't matter to me, i have a tensioner fitted. for me it's great. redbike, no not yet, need to get out on wet day so the caked on mud will soften so i can clean and strip properly, i think you may be right about the breaking from the rear suss links. i sprayed a bit of wd40 and it wasn't as noisy.

as for trashing a chain and ring more often. bear in mind i was running full xtr set up which cost a bloody fortune so even if i go thru 5 a year i'm still quids in.

:blush:
Eh? How does the tensioner remove the chain stretching? Is it the magic of a chain tensioner that stops the chain wearing?
Might be the WD40 though, i heard it was pretty magic, the perfect lube!

Top Bottom