'Half of cyclists without lights...'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cab

Cab

Bongman said:
I must admit I do see quite a few cars with dodgy lights. I dont know how illegal (if at all) these dodgy lights are, at least they have lights and are using them.

I would say in my town, especially now we are losing sunlight, I see about 75% without lights. And about 50% of those have no reflectors either!

I agree with most of that article. The one thing I object to is the phrase "Anti-Social Cycling". Cycling without lights is dangerous and illegal, not anti-social.

Its not the concept that cyclists should have lights I disagree with. I don't, of course cyclists at night benefit from lights. Its the conclusion drawn from one 'study', at one time, on one road, on one evening.

Every cyclist I saw on Stretten Avenue last night had lights on. From that I conclude that every cyclist in Cambridge has lights on at night. Clearly, thats absurd, but it is only as absurd as the conclusions of this article.

And when a journalist draws such silly conclusions from patchy data like that, it matters. Take this quote there:

He believes a planned £400,000 traffic safety measure revamp of Mill Road should only be considered following a crackdown on cyclists flouting the law.

He said: "We should be making sure cyclists are visible at night before we start spending nearly half a million pounds on unpopular traffic calming measures on Mill Road."

Mill Road is straight, long, narrow, busy, and light. Very light. Even wearing black without any lights a cyclist will be visible there to any motorist who is actually looking; it isn't a shady suburban street, it isn't a dark country road, it is lined with shops spitting light on to the street, well illuminated takeaways, and ample street lighting. It is implied here that cyclists are responsible for the problems this road has because at night they're not using lights, when really the issue is that the road is narrow and extremely congested. Its an accident blackspot for cyclists for that reason, because most cyclists in Cambridge are quite incredibly passive in their road positioning they basically get squeezed out.

The impact of an article like this is entirely negative; yes, of course cyclists should have lights. No, the fact that quite a few of them don't on this street isn't the point, in fact when one looks at the stated goals of those claiming this figure, thats a complete red herring.

I've seen two in the last week: all in black, lights in place but not switched on. Both pulled out of side roads right in front of me, despite it being my priority and me being the proverbial Christmas Tree. Luckily I had spotted them despite their lack of illumination.

I'd even made eye contact with the drivers before they pulled out. Yep, these were cars.

Ben Lovejoy said:
No way.

I see quite a few cars with a light out, but it's still rare enough that it stands out to me. Cyclists without lights is something I see every day, everywhere.

You can buy 'be seen' lights for a fiver, battery included. There's just no excuse.

I commute through Paulsgrove!

Dan B

Disengaged member
Cab said:
Rare? Not in my experience. Shockingly common for cars to have poor lights that aren't working well. In fact, I've never seen a BMW with working indicators...
I saw one the other week. I was so surprised to see his indicator blinking that I didn't register he was about to cut me up until almost too late.

Top Bottom