Halfords bike hut synthetic wet lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Fab Foodie said:
I'm certain you'd be no worst off. Just try it!

:smile: Imagine the outcry :becool:
I'd never be able to confess to it, I'd be hounded mercilessly until I'd invested in the latest micro-ceramic-X-type-fully-synthetic lube....

I mean, I could never admit to curing a nasty case of chain suck on my old hardtail by switching to WD40 as a lube. :biggrin:

Actually, I'm a bit of an anorak with chain lubes TBH.
It intrigues me that they can trigger such fierce debate when chains have been used on bicycles for so many Years.
I mean, surely by now there should be a definitive answer to which is the best, all round lube???

I've done a couple of mini-trials of my own, by running one chain almost soley on Decathlon cycle oil (cheap 'n' cheerful) against one with Pro link Gold and although the Gold treated one looked cleaner, chain life was about the same.

If the wet/dry synthetic hybrid works, it could be a cost effective answer so as I have a fairly new chain (and cassette) fitted so I can give it a decent trial.

After that though, I'll give engine oil a go, if the "hybrid mix" doesn't excel itself anyway.

I really don't understand why a heavy oil in a solvent carrier isn't the best answer?
The thin mix would run deep into the rollers and then the solvent would evaporate leaving the oil to do it's job.
Maybe I should knock some up for the next trial?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Panter said:
I really don't understand why a heavy oil in a solvent carrier isn't the best answer?
The thin mix would run deep into the rollers and then the solvent would evaporate leaving the oil to do it's job.
Maybe I should knock some up for the next trial?

I used to do that. I'd meticulosly clean the chain, solvent and chain cleaner or hot water and fairy liquid, then quickly dry, liberally squirt with WD40 to remove the water and then apply copius oil when the WD40 was still active. By the morning there was much less liquid on the chain and so I assumed that that was due to WD40 evaporation and dissolved oil penetrating the rollers. I'd give it a wipe and be on my way.

I don't think it made my chains last longer or run smmother than my regular Mickle method and Finish line Green... Oh, you may ask, why theFinish line? Well I was given some and it was a bit thicker and stickier than the previous lube and survived the rain better, so I keep using it most of the time, except when I mislay the bottle in my wreck of a garage and then the Halfrauds cheapy stuff or 3 in 1 will do!

What's important IMO is to keep the chain lubed and not wash the oil from the pins.
Nobody has ever done a definitive chain cleaning regime test... there may be a reason for this.

der alt

Fab Foodie said:
What's important IMO is to keep the chain lubed and not wash the oil from the pins.
Nobody has ever done a definitive chain cleaning regime test... there may be a reason for this.

Been doing the same regime for years ,chain is degreased with Janitol neat, washed off then dried thence off to the oil bath overnight (3 in 1), allowed to drip dry for a day or so then put back on usually with FL Cross Country during winter and a Edinburgh Bike Coop white ptfe lube for summer .
At the last clean the derailleir(sp?) chain and block were completely covered in muck as were the front cranks thanks to the cycleway and roads being covered in muck and stuff from constant salting/gritting .
so instead of using the FL stuff i've left the 3 in 1 on this time so far no problems ..

PpPete

Legendary Member
Panter said:
If the wet/dry synthetic hybrid works, it could be a cost effective answer so as I have a fairly new chain (and cassette) fitted so I can give it a decent trial.

After that though, I'll give engine oil a go, if the "hybrid mix" doesn't excel itself anyway.

Panter - sorry mate, went to get the thin Halfords stuff from garage to send to you. Bottle was on its side on floor, not on usual shelf. Contents had all leaked out.

So not only was product inferior (IMO) but packaging pretty useless too.

Sorry not to be able to help in the "hybrid" trial.

scouserinlondon said:
Anybody got a view on GT85 as a chain lube? Also, I've noticed some rust spots on my chain, is it worth cleaning it up or should I buy a new one?

GT85 on a rag will make cleaning the rust off your chain easy, but I would use a 'proper' oil as a lube on top, because GT85 is a bit on the thin side.

PpPete

Legendary Member
porkypete said:
<snip>

it will give me an excuse to get something better.;)

Thinking of trying ProLink Gold. Do people use the Luber pen or does the 4oz bottle have a nozzle suitable for just drizzling a little bit on at a time?

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
porkypete said:
Thinking of trying ProLink Gold. Do people use the Luber pen or does the 4oz bottle have a nozzle suitable for just drizzling a little bit on at a time?

I've only used the bottle.

To be honest though, it's utter carp and you end up loosing at least 2/3 of the bottle to the floor which just results in very expensive stains.

It's the reason I stopped using it actually, I really don't want to pay extra just for an applicator that should've been provided in the first place < rant mode off >

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Totally different opinion here:

Prolink, little and often - use Luber or similar to apply, 'Mickle method'. Search forum, see similar threads below. £4.99, two bikes, 3years, 1000s of miles, clean, no wear, still some left .......

(from which chain lube thread)

+1 re the Prolink Luber Pen, by the way. I have been using one for over 2 years, refilling from a £5 bottle of Prolink Chain Lube. I have only used about 3/4 of the bottle so far. No measurable chain wear as yet - excellent stuff! (Check out the link to the
prolink chain lube thread below)

(from an earlier thread)

Have used prolink exclusively from new, campag veloce 10 speed, about 3k miles so far, no wear, no crap, £5, plenty left, no complaints. But, you must use the syringe to apply it, and sparingly.

(from an even earlier thread)

I think its OK! (and I am still using the same bottle)

Top Bottom