Halfords/Boardman Bikes - How Good Are They?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Harbornite

I think the Team went up by £50 a few months back.

Boardmans are fantastic value for money & great bikes - there are numerous reviews & posts on these forums that reinforce this.

Halfords are at best indifferent. The bikes come to them semi assembled & they appear to struggle with the last bit.

Buy one, you will not regret. Just take it to your LBS for a once over.

silverback_ade

I have a hybrid pro and is a fantastic bike for the price, if you do decide to buy a boardman I would get your servicing done at a local dedicated bike shop as your more likely to see the same person and get a better service as Halfords are very hit and miss. I was going to buy the comp but got a pro off ebay for comp price and was virtually new. The bikes are very light and strong and handle great, highly recommend the bikes but not Halfords.

I have a hybrid pro and is a fantastic bike for the price, if you do decide to buy a boardman I would get your servicing done at a local dedicated bike shop as your more likely to see the same person and get a better service as Halfords are very hit and miss. I was going to buy the comp but got a pro off ebay for comp price and was virtually new. The bikes are very light and strong and handle great, highly recommend the bikes but not Halfords.
Just want to point out the date of the post previous to yours was nearly three years ago.
:welcome: to cyclechat.

Peter Ebdon

I've bought two Boardman carbon bikes in 3 years (mine a few years ago and my wife's recently). Setup on both was excellent.

These were both from Halfords in Newbury.

My bike has needed no adjustment from new. I had a problem a few weeks ago (bike 2.5 years old) where the SRAM double-tap shifter snapped. Looking online this is a common problem with a batch from that time and SRAM had agreed to cover the parts and labour costs (£160 just for a shifter!!!).

I took the bike into Halfords in Newbury and they said they'd look into whether SRAM would cover it. A week later I picked the bike in and it looked as good as new and setup was spot on again. The bike technician said that SRAM had refused to cover the cost because 'it would fail in the first 6 months' but Halfords had covered the cost themselves. They also said if the other side broke they's replace that free-of-charge too.

I don't often post on forums but I'd read a lot of negative Halfords posts before choosing the boardman and wanted to let you all know that they can be fantastic.

Top Bottom