Halfords Road Bike Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hello,
Has anyone ever bought road wheels from Halfords? The reason I ask is that I am getting one of their road bikes but wanted an upgraded wheel set and then they would also fit them for me.
thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
As Dirty Harry would say: 'Are you feeling luck punk, well are you?'
:smile:

Landsurfer

Veteran
Surely you can change a set of wheels .... how would you fix a puncture !!! Changing a cassette is hardly rocket science.....
Change them yourself ... trust me ...

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
No, but if they’re a branded wheel, and you’re happy with the mechanics, can’t see why they would be any different to an LBS.
What are you upgrading to?
Merlin often have good deals on wheels as an alternative

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
I'm buying a Boardman 8.9 disc and thought I'd get some decent wheels as an instant upgrade. Sure I can change a puncture but thought I'd benefit from a free wheel fitting.

If they are disc wheels don’t forget you will need to either swap over or buy the tyres, cassette and disc rotors in addition to the actual wheel cost. I can see the benefit of getting Halfords to do the setup for you.

Twilkes

Guru
Yep, switching a cassette and rotors when you don't have to is a bit of a no-brainer, especially if you don't have the cassette tools right now.

I would second trying the stock wheels first, depending on what the new ones are they might not be worth the money, you might want to put a few more quid in later no for a note worthwhile wheel upgrade.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You won’t benefit, fitting wheels is hardly complicated. It is a bit like getting a shop to open a paper bag for you.
Except in Halfords case they’d probably tear the bag and drop the contents on the floor.

I’d usually say tyres would be a much more noticeable and cost effective upgrade but I see from the specs the stock ones are Rubino pros which are pretty decent. That’s if they don’t change.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Like I said earlier, I'm fortunate that my local Halfords have some pretty good mechanics. I don't have the tools to remove the cassette etc. Anyway having looked at their site I don't think the wheels are that great, I'll see if I can source and fit some Hunt hoops.

Reactions: C R

Landsurfer

Veteran
C2C ... Whitehaven to Tynemouth .... day 2 .... the climbs !!
Up UP uP to the burnt out cafe ..... then down and down and Chris with his brand new Boardman Hybrid ... Specially prepared as a result of a conversation with the Cycle fitters in his local Halfords .... 20, 30, and more mph ...
Then ...
His handle bars come loose and slide sideways out of the stem .....
Chris wrestles the bike to a stop... never have I seen this Yorkshire Miner and Rail Engineer look so white ....
Possible loss of life situation for a less experienced rider ...
Halfords nearly killed him.
But they didn’t .
On his return home he went and spoke to the fitters, they where horrified and genuinely sorry .....
Halfords cycle fitters are not bad people, but the processes around safety seem to be poor ...

Top Bottom