Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
RiflemanSmith

RiflemanSmith

Sorry you had problems, but I vote for crap service with my feet, I never cross the threshold of a shop again, you have had 3 instances, you must enjoy it.

Alan...
The bike was a good deal, I was looking a Specialized Hard Rock, but It wont even be going to Halfords for its free 6 week service!

screenman

Legendary Member
Halfords that is the place I watched a guy hammer yes hammer a 27.2 into 27 seat tube, the sizing may have been even greater as he was using a large hammer. When I questioned him he said they often have to do it that way as they are a interference fit, something want interfering with but not the fit. I advised the customer who was waiting whilst the job was done to shop elsewhere, if not just ask the fitter to raise the seat an inch or two after fitting.

I am in the motor trade and I am yet to hear a good word about that side of their service.

pplpilot

Guru
Halfords that is the place I watched a guy hammer yes hammer a 27.2 into 27 seat tube, the sizing may have been even greater as he was using a large hammer. When I questioned him he said they often have to do it that way as they are a interference fit, something want interfering with but not the fit. I advised the customer who was waiting whilst the job was done to shop elsewhere, if not just ask the fitter to raise the seat an inch or two after fitting.

I am in the motor trade and I am yet to hear a good word about that side of their service.

hmmm, as a Mechanical Engineer It's been a while since I've had to calculate an interference fit but I can assure him that 0.2mm on a 27mm dia shaft/tube certainly isn't anywhere near what it should be !!! ha! ha! brilliant :laugh: . A very quick look through my tables suggest something in the region of 0.02mm for tubes.

green1

Über Member
hmmm, as a Mechanical Engineer It's been a while since I've had to calculate an interference fit but I can assure him that 0.2mm on a 27mm dia shaft/tube certainly isn't anywhere near what it should be !!! ha! ha! brilliant :laugh: . A very quick look through my tables suggest something in the region of 0.02mm for tubes.
.2 interference is going to put some serious stress on the tube, assuming it hasn't buckled of course. It's the customer I feel sorry for as I doubt the warranty would be valid and what assessor would believe a 'bike technician' would be stupid enough to do that.

Big boy

this is what happens when a kid does a mans job.
Who picked the bike up , the first thing most people would do is try the brakes??

OP
OP
RiflemanSmith

RiflemanSmith

My missus went in and picked it up. I rode it home, and no I didn't check the brakes before I got on it, but I was damn aware of it when I tried to stop at a pedestrian crossing.

craven2354

It's certainly not my policy :evil:
But - yes, we are supposed to find a happy outcome even when the customer brings in something they clearly bought in the 70's and claims it was a gift last Thursday and inexplicably broken despite the fact we can see where they've taken a hammer to it.
The general rule of thumb is avoid a call to head office at all costs - unless it's about charging for carrier bags which is about the only area where you get their full support!
I'll make sure I bring my battered old bike back to your store for a refund ;)

Sandra6

Veteran
You wouldn't be the first Craven!
Somebody managed to get a new inner tube after a puncture because he convinced the member of staff it was covered by warranty for a year!!
And yes, we still have Bike huts.

compo

Veteran
I got two free carrier bags out of Halfords recently but I had made a spend of over £200. I told the girl on the till that if I had to pay for bags to carry my shopping home then I didn't want the goods. I got my bags.

Top Bottom