Halfords?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIGSESAL

I have been looking for an entry level racer. On looking in Halfords I have seen some bikes at very interesting prices. However I have been led to believe these bikes are only made for Halfords (eg carrera range). Are these bikes any good and are they actually proper bikes or imitation. Has anyone had any experience with them.

Thanks,

Scott

wlc1

I think the bikes are shite from Halfords.

Some people on here call them halfrauds.

Go elsewhere mate

Kovu

Über Member
I wouldn't get an entry level racer bike personally from there.

But saying that I got bought one of the Carrera town bike and its one of the best bikes i have had and better then what anyone else might think. Best bet, try it?

dudi

Hi Scott,
The carrera range goes from crap to pretty good in my opinion. the very base models are not really worth the money, you can get a better deal. but if you go for the higher end one (i think it's called a Vanquish or something like that) then they're not bad at all.

You might want to look at the boardman range, if you want to buy from HellFrauds. I have looked at these, and read reviews and they seem pretty good value.

My suggestion, if you're not tied to buying from halfords though a Cycle2Work scheme like I was, would be to go to a god local independant bike shop and tell them you want to spend some money with them.
they'll find the best bike you can get for your budget.

On a side note, I think the main reason people don't rate the halfords Carrera range is that riding around on a Carrera, you'll ge branded as "that bloke who bought his bike from a car accessories shop"

If you let us know your budget, people will throw all sorts of makes and models at you to look in to.

For what it's worth, I bought a Claud Butler Sane Remo for my first road bike, it's a nice ride for a beginner. although it hardly sees any action now as I use my home-made fixed gear for everything.

Andy

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Carrera are OK..the Subway hybrids are supposed to be fine.

What's your budget first - then you may be surprised at what other makes come into your 'firing range' !!

OP
OP
BIGSESAL

BIGSESAL

wlc1 said:
Some people on here call them halfrauds.

Go elsewhere mate

This is what I thought. I think would prefer to save some more of my well earner cash and give the LBS some trade.

Thanks mate.

PS I have about £350 and have been thinking about Giant SCR4, Dawes Galaxy or a Claud Butler Crit

LondonCommuter

If you know what you're doing, they are probably pretty good value, but don't expect Halfords to set the bike up properly or be able to fix it if anything goes wrong (which it probably will because they won't set it up properly). I have basically written off the bike I bought from Halfords just over a year ago and am very happy with the bike I bought from my local bike shop. A friend had a much better experience but when something went wrong found that it would cost an excessive amount to fix, because Halfords had used a non-standard part (presumably they got a load at a cheap rate and it made sense in terms of giving a good value bike but didn't help maintenance).

Kovu

Über Member
BIGSESAL said:
This is what I thought. I think would prefer to save some more of my well earner cash and give the LBS some trade.

Thanks mate.

PS I have about £350 and have been thinking about Giant SCR4, Dawes Galaxy and a Claud Butler Crit

Id go for a Giant over a Carreera any day personally. :biggrin:

mikeitup

Veteran
re:

I have a Carrera Fury MTB that I use for commuting and on local CTC rides.
Got it from Halfrauds at a good price last year due to Coco Pops vouchers. Some of their shops have good mechanics etc (not by me they don't!) it depends on the store by you.The money I saved I spent on a full service from a "proper" bike shop.
I have added schwalbe marathon tyres, changed the grips to Cane Creeks inc bar ends, brooks flyer, added a pannier rack etc. Currently do 100+ miles per week on it. Rides like a dream and I don't care what people think of it. :biggrin:

If you do get one take it to a LBS with a good mechanic who can set it up properly for you.

Blue

Legendary Member
dudi said:
Hi Scott,
bought his bike from a car accessories shop"

Andy

I think that is the important point with Halfords - what do you expect them to know about bikes?

I wouldn't dream of buying a bike from my local Halfords.

Mortiroloboy

Pop in to your LBS this morning/afternoon, the new 2009 ranges will soon be distributed, the 'old' 2008 models will start to be discounted, you may even see a 2007 model lurking in the shop, one that say for example may have a blemish or other minor fault that can easily/cheaply be rectified.

There's a credit crunch about at the moment, you r LBS would rather take a hit discountwise than not make a sale at all. get my drift?!

You have the power, £350 is a big lever, go support your LBS, build a good relationship with them, it will be well worth the effort.

While you are in there ask about organised rides/local clubs.

welcome to the darkside, you may never leave...:smile:

Top Bottom