Halfords?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sheva

I`ve held off from getting my bike on the C2w scheme simply because I have to use Halfords. On the plus side it transpires I can order any bike I like (within a certain budget) If they don`t stock what I want.
The problem I have now is choosing my bike without getting to sit on it/test ride it etc. I`ve tried a globe at my LBS but it was way too big (55cm frame, I`m only 5"6") and I feel bad messing them about If I`m not buying from them.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
mixed experiences of halfords. my carrera virtuoso was well built (by a now lbs mechanic) and was excellent value for the price. it's now only got the original frame and handlebars mind.

daughters apollo bike was set up dreadfully by spanner monkies.

the carrera bikes are good value for money and get decent reviews. the problem with halfords is not so much the bikes as the level of experience of the people that put them together.

i'd definitely check out your lbs though.

woohoo

Veteran
Keith Oates said:
A certain lady recently proved that the Boardman bike is 'pretty good', aided by Shimano!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, aided by SRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cooke wins Gold on SRAM RED!
Great Britain's Nicole Cooke has won the Women's Road Race at the Olympic Games on SRAM RED drivetrain and Zipp 202's wheels. After great team work from fellow SRAM RED rider Emma Pooley, Nicole won the sprint for Gold ahead of Emma Johansson (Swe) and Tatiana Guderzo (Ita), who was also on SRAM RED. The lightest group in the world with Zipp's new climbing wheel was the perfect choice for Nicole on the toughest ever Olympic Road Race course.

Report courtesy of Jason Phillips - SRAM EU Sponsorship Manager

Slim

Über Member
:
sheva said:
I`ve held off from getting my bike on the C2w scheme simply because I have to use Halfords. On the plus side it transpires I can order any bike I like (within a certain budget) If they don`t stock what I want.
The problem I have now is choosing my bike without getting to sit on it/test ride it etc. I`ve tried a globe at my LBS but it was way too big (55cm frame, I`m only 5"6") and I feel bad messing them about If I`m not buying from them.

There's a thread somewhere where someone mentioned that their LBS liased with Halfrauds. The LBS (Pearsons of Sutton) arranged everything. All the buyer had to do was order the voucher. The point is that the buyer ended up with the right bike correctly set up and still saved a load of tax.

I can't remember whether the thread was here or at YACF. Search for Pearsons (it may be a quite a few weeks old now).

HTH

Oh!! and good luck in Milan ;)

Plax

Guru
I wouldn't use Halfords again. Mind, I did by an Apollo bottom of the range hybrid when I first started out so only to be expected that it was crap. The service wasn't brilliant. I had to take it back as it wasn't set up properly.
The bikes they stock aren't to my taste either, but if I was to buy from them again it is only because I am now happy to fiddle myself. Found a decent LBS now though, always worth investing in a good LBS!

Winchy

if you want my opinion about halfords, only one word comes to mind and that is c**p. I have had problems right from the word go with them.

I know someone who was charged £50 to change an innertube by halfords.

DONT USE HALFORDS!

sheva

Slim said:
:

There's a thread somewhere where someone mentioned that their LBS liased with Halfrauds. The LBS (Pearsons of Sutton) arranged everything. All the buyer had to do was order the voucher. The point is that the buyer ended up with the right bike correctly set up and still saved a load of tax.

I can't remember whether the thread was here or at YACF. Search for Pearsons (it may be a quite a few weeks old now).

HTH

Oh!! and good luck in Milan :blush:

thanks, I`ll have a look for that thread later tonight. was thinking about something similar because I realised Halfords would have to order my bike from somewhere.
oh and Milans just a stop off on the way back to Dynamo.:blush:

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
For under £300 I would look to get a used classic lightweight steel racer rather than a cheap "entry level" bike from Halfords, Argos,tesco etc. There are some fantastic old machines about that have been lovingly maintained and have a build quality that you have to pay an arm and a leg for these days.

Top Bottom