Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ian emmerson

Some people never cease to amaze me.

Was going near to halfords this morning so called in with my rear wheel, tyre off and asked them how much to replace a snapped spoke and re true.

Their reply was £25 and ready next friday !!!!!.

Considering i only called in as i was parked in their car park going elsewhere, i decided that it would be worth my while driving an extra 20 miles to my lbs whereby the same repair is only £3 and given the option of being done while you wait.

Do halfords just make these figures up ?, if so then wonder their reputation is not very good.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Some people never cease to amaze me.

Was going near to halfords this morning so called in with my rear wheel, tyre off and asked them how much to replace a snapped spoke and re true.

Their reply was £25 and ready next friday !!!!!.

Considering i only called in as i was parked in their car park going elsewhere, i decided that it would be worth my while driving an extra 20 miles to my lbs whereby the same repair is only £3 and given the option of being done while you wait.

Do halfords just make these figures up ?, if so then wonder their reputation is not very good.
£25 quid? Well I never.

It's enough to make you learn to do it yourself isn't it!

Willo

As has been said before, Halfords is a very random experience in terms of service. I went in last week to have a look at spending some capital bonds which precluded using other cycle shops. They just didn't seem bothered at all. Today, I went back for another go and got a really helpful lad, really into his cycling and who spent ages checking out various helmets for a good fit etc. As for price, suppose they have a cornered market; often being the only place in many towns and receiving plenty of demand from children's bikes and occassional cyclists who don't have the knowledge to gauge prices etc.

Jacqui

Somebody has to pay for all those large stores, advertising, employee uniforms, etc., etc., I wonder whether it could be the customer?

I just had the spokes re done on my back wheel and charged £51.00 by LBS think I have been had but decided to get a new bike and I know where I won't be going .

He said they are the best spokes and reall he was doing me a favour at that price and it took a week .

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Somebody has to pay for all those large stores, advertising, employee uniforms, etc., etc., I wonder whether it could be the customer?

I just had the spokes re done on my back wheel and charged £51.00 by LBS think I have been had but decided to get a new bike and I know where I won't be going .

He said they are the best spokes and reall he was doing me a favour at that price and it took a week .

Halfords at Hermiston Gait in Edinburgh once cut a spoke to size and then cut a thread in it, fitted it to my wheel, trued it up and put everything back on whilst I waited in store and the guy wouldn't allow me to pay for it. In fact, they've been more than generous there on a number of occasions. (It's handy as it's just along from work so I can pop in when I have an emergency).

On the other hand, the Seafield Road branch (where I get my Bike2Work bikes from) is utterly hopeless!

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
I find Halford a pretty pointless place to visit and buy from except for small things like oil etc... Most of the time the young assistants have no idea about bikes or customer service, as people have said it can be a bit of a mixed bag...

I wont go into what I think of their bikes....
rolleyes.gif

If the entire wheel was rebuilt then that price isn't so surprising. There is a lot more work than replacing one or two broken ones.

Jacqui

If the entire wheel was rebuilt then that price isn't so surprising. There is a lot more work than replacing one or two broken ones.

[/quote]

Thanks that was maybe what was done hopefully the problem is now resolved .

Learning that the whole cycling enerprise is not for stupid people like me but will keep at it atleast until Paris in Sept .

Top Bottom