halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tony m

i own two boardman mountian bikes ,both on the cycle to work scheme,i intend to buy my 3rd boardman which will be my first road bike in over 20 years.I cycle to work everyday and have my heart on the new carbon team,but i need to know which is the best halfords to buy my next ride from.I will not be using the team valley(gateshead) store as they are worse than rubbish.B)Any advice would be greatly recieved. I DONT MIND TRAVELLING

jimboalee

You have TWO bikes on the CTW scheme? Can one take out duplicate CTW schemes in the same year?

That besides, having TWO bikes already, you should by now be able to assemble and check any bike bought from any vendor.

The older of the two bikes should be used as a 'Teach myself workpiece'.
If you get into real trouble, the LBS will put you right.

+1 On not going to the valley.

Got two bikes from there a few years ago and both where set up awfully.

the brakes and gears on one just didn't work..at all...and the other had a twisted chain!

So much for a full safety check before you collect it

IMO...use a LBS

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Local Bike Shop all the way. Halfords couldn't even fit my car headlamp bulb correctly last year. I refitted it myself in the end and got my £5 fitting charge back.

The CTW scheme requires that the bike is used for commuting at least 50% of the time, so if you have 3 bikes that's quite impossible. Just shows what at complete joke the scheme is. If the Govt. want to save money they should scrap the scheme.

Norm

Crankster, you can have up to two bikes a year on the scheme, the thinking being that you might want to use public transport for part of your commute, and want to have a bike at each end of the ride.

The CTW scheme requires that the bike is used for commuting at least 50% of the time, so if you have 3 bikes that's quite impossible.
That is quite the strangest comment about the C2W scheme I've seen in a long time.

Whilst your conclusion might be correct, that analysis shows a remarkable lack of knowledge about the scheme and about mathematics.

Garz

Squat Member
From what I read (I may be confused) you only had to 'commute' once per year by bike to qualify for the scheme.
wacko.gif

crumpetman

I thought that 50% of the bike usage needed to be for commuting for it to qualify. So you can ride it just once to work so long as you only ride it one other day for leisure.

Anyway, the way I read it is that tony m has used the c2w scheme twice and has kept ownership of the bikes so now has two bikes. He has not said he has had two bikes in one year.

Norm

I thought that 50% of the bike usage needed to be for commuting for it to qualify. So you can ride it just once to work so long as you only ride it one other day for leisure.
That is correct.

Anyway, the way I read it is that tony m has used the c2w scheme twice and has kept ownership of the bikes so now has two bikes. He has not said he has had two bikes in one year.
That is also correct.

Quite sad that I feel the need to post when what someone writes is correct, but it happens so seldom when it comes to Cycle To Work schemes that I think it should be higlighted.

spen666

Legendary Member
Local Bike Shop all the way. Halfords couldn't even fit my car headlamp bulb correctly last year. I refitted it myself in the end and got my £5 fitting charge back.

The CTW scheme requires that the bike is used for commuting at least 50% of the time, so if you have 3 bikes that's quite impossible. Just shows what at complete joke the scheme is. If the Govt. want to save money they should scrap the scheme.

Alec, that is not correct on several levels

1. The requireent is the majority of the use of the bike is for commuting - ie not for other purposes. so to ride the bike once in the period of the scheme on a commute and never again is fine. It is not to use it for 50% of commutes

2. The above requirement ends when the last payment is made on the C2W scheme. The bike is then yours and you can do what you like. So even if your comment re 50% use on commuting is true, it would not apply once scheme for that bike had ceased

Top Bottom