Hammer Series

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've not seen this discussed on here but found the first ''climb'' stage fascinating and not a little insanely red-zone racing. I caught up with yesterday's race on GCN and it was clear that none of the commentators really had any idea what to expect for what was something somewhere in the rather big space between criteriums and one day classics. (Notable riding from Betancur, Dumoulin, and Tao Geoghan-Hart.)

This afternoon, from 15:00 to 17:50 there's the sprint stage, streamed on Hammer Series' Facebook page and on GCN's Youtube channel. No idea what to expect. It's a new format that synthesises lots of aspects of track, classics, crits and stage races, so it's all a bit of an unknown that could eventually become a shade ''Jack of all trades....'' and falling somewhere between them. But, if it's as fun as yesterday's stage, well worth a watch, I reckon.

Yesterday's climb race starts 30 minutes into this:

I saw it was Velon and decided not to give it a chance. I'm like that.

And surely it's not just me who thought of this when hearing the name

Picnic+pants+were+kind+of+done+a+while+ago+_649be8e5a6d583f83a83f1620a35d791.gif

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
They could do with having the audio from the race a bit higher. it feels like they are commentating on a recorded feed.
I just read that the facebook stream was better than the youtube one but my youtube link is working fine with a couple of seconds delay on the commentary.

I watched a bit on FB, couldn't work out what was happening apart from the commentators repeatedly mentioning it was "different".

I'm away to get a haircut instead.

OP
OP
deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
What's the crack with the rules here then? All teams set off together? Or timed gaps?
I believe there are 8 teams going at the moment in a sort of minor final. They set off at handicap intervals that are calculated using the points accumulated in the Climb and the Sprint events. One team set off only 16 seconds behind the team in front because their points were nearly the same. I have no idea whether a storming time recorded by a B team can move them into positions above 8th. I think that it's simply the team that finishes first in the second group wins the series (because their accumulated points have been taken into account in the handicap...or something....).

Top Bottom