Hammerhead Karoo 2 or Garmin 1030 Plus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400ixl

Thinking of buying a cycling computer. Looking at the Karoo 2 (£359) and the Garmin 1030 Plus (£389).

From what I have seen the Garmin is probably the better on features as is today, but the Karoo 2 is nearly there and is much more frequently updated. Also like the fact the Karoo 2 is Android based and I can sideload onto it as well for additional functionality should I want to.

Anyone got experience of both? Is the 1030 Plus really worth the extra money? Does the Karoo 2 really get new features and likely to be the most future proofed.

I already have the DuoTrap S speed and cadence sensors on the bike, and use my watch (WearOS) as a HRM at the moment if that makes a difference.

Head is currently leaning towards the Karoo 2.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If you haven't done so already, have a look at DC Rainmakers in depth reviews of the two computers.
Karoo 2
Garmin 1030

I always find it helpful to make a list of the features I need and want first.
Then see what best matches my list.

Also, based in recent experience after sales service should be a factor as well.

I have read good things about the Karoo but most were written by people better equipped for the techworld than myself

OP
OP
400ixl

400ixl

Thanks for the links to reviews. Have watched quite a few now and they are pretty consistent which is good.

From a features point of view they both pretty much do all that I would use it for which is mainly creating routes and then logging the data. The Karoo seems to be more responsive and has a better screen with touch being better unless it is in the rain where the Garmin is better. Battery life on the Garmin is much better, but to be honest I doubt I will be doing anything where 12 hours between opportunity to charge will be an issue.

I guess this is where I was looking for peoples experience as often it is the little things that people point out that can sway it. Technology isn't an issue as its what I do for a living and know Android very well, so a bit of side loading isn't going to be a challenge.

si_c

Guru
I've got the 1030 plus and wouldn't swap it for anything. It's a truly excellent unit. Battery life is the stand out feature, I did a 100mile ride with navigation and sensors and it still had 88% battery. For commuting when I start again next month I expect to easily get a full week off a single charge (12mi each way, 5 days).

Navigation is really good and clear, I'd say it is probably the best that Garmin has done so far and on a par with the likes of Wahoo and Hammerhead. The biggest advantage is that the maps are all permanently on the head unit so if you re-route or whatever then you don't need to download new map segments.

The Karoo does have an advantage in that you can side load apps etc on but for me I would likely use my phone for that anyway rather than the head unit.

Edit to add, having rewatched the DCR video, Garmin does live tracking directly via your phone compared to seeming to need a sim card for the Karoo, the connection via bluetooth is seemless and if using headphones with your phone you get turn by turn navigation through your headphones, which is great.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Self and hubby both have the 1030 and really like them. The battery life is very good and with the pucker garmin mount you can add a battery pack underneath to add to the battery life if you need it. I like the 'climb' function which comes up when you have loaded a route - the climb comes up in graphic form with colours for gradient and info on length of climb and how far to go ( so yuo can see how long you might have to suffer for!!). Mapping suits my purposes and have used it here in UK as well as in Europe without problems. There is also incident detection facility in case of accident (perhaps a little bit sensitive - hubbys went off when he had to emergency brake one time) plus the 'Live Track' is good - can see where somebody is whne they are out. Loads easily up to Strava via mobile. You can also get phone call alerts and text messages on the screen if phone is in back pocket/bag. I have had mine for several years and it has always worked well

dodgy

Thanks for your thoughts. Any Karoo owners out there?

I have a Karoo 2. I'm also a long time user of Garmin products, I've had many of them right from the original Edge 305 in 2006 through almost all of them to the Edge 1000. I will be to the point and say I prefer the Karoo 2, Garmin every now and again make some small improvements, marginally bigger screen, slightly larger SD cards allowed, blah blah. But they have never addressed the poor user experience of panning and zooming the map. The Karoo 2 is more like a smartphone in this regard.

My Edge 1000 fell to the very common 'crumbling power button' thing, I lost 2 of them to this, to be fair Garmin replaced the first one but it was only a matter of time that the same happened to the replacement, which it did.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
@JhnBssll posted some info a few years ago - I don't know if he still has it or any updates

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/hammerhead-karoo-gps.232920/

si_c

Guru
I have a Karoo 2. I'm also a long time user of Garmin products, I've had many of them right from the original Edge 305 in 2006 through almost all of them to the Edge 1000. I will be to the point and say I prefer the Karoo 2, Garmin every now and again make some small improvements, marginally bigger screen, slightly larger SD cards allowed, blah blah. But they have never addressed the poor user experience of panning and zooming the map. The Karoo 2 is more like a smartphone in this regard.

My Edge 1000 fell to the very common 'crumbling power button' thing, I lost 2 of them to this, to be fair Garmin replaced the first one but it was only a matter of time that the same happened to the replacement, which it did.

I've seen and used the 1000 and in fairness to Garmin the Edge 1030 and 1030 plus are huge generational improvements over the former and substantial over the original 1030. The screen on the 1030+ is definitely more smartphone like than any of it's predecessors but I'll take your point about the map, the UI hasn't improved hugely for zooming or panning, but that's not really the point of it, the rest of the UI has had huge improvements over my 820. Having Wahoo and the likes of Hammerhead providing actual competition has made them step their game up.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I'm a long time Karoo user but have never tried the Garmin offerings so am unlikely to give an unbiased opinion 😄 What I can tell you is the Karoo 2 is a great piece of kit that I would happily recommend to anyone. I have smart watches, power meters, di2 all connected to it and a SIM installed and it does everything I'd want it to. As you mentioned it is also constantly evolving, with feedback from users frequently directly affecting software updates and new features. I'm part of their advanced testing group too so get to play with some of their upcoming offerings which is quite exciting 😊 Happy to answer any specific questions if you have any :okay:

Top Bottom