Hammocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

I have used a hammock quite extensively in Europe, especially in Greece, France, Italy and Spain. Its very rare you can't find some woodland somewhere. Occasionally I have used a tarp. Once on a climbing trip it was a wash out and I spent three days lying in a hammock under a tarp listening to the rain, and reading a book. I was perfectly warm and happy and very glad not to be in the cramped tent with my friends.

When I wake up I reach down and light the stove and then snooze while the coffee brews. Drink the coffee in bed and then wake up and roll up the sleeping arrangements in seconds. and I;m ready to go. . .

A good number of campsites have trees, lamp posts, etc. I have hung it on a ferry, on a rock face (using climbing protection) and between chimney pots on the roof of my house.

One of the most fun options is to find some woods near the coast, and climb high up a tree and hang your hammock between branches. Fantastic views!!!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
tdr1nka said:
Magna said:
Waterproof bag sounds cool, I like the idea of super roughing it.
German paratroop issue, dead cosy!
The end of the sleeping bag also unzips so you can wear it like a parka. I have slept on beaches and under hedgerows in mine. Nearly as expensive as a decent tent and proper 'under the stars' kit!

Scenario:
It's chucking it down and has been for a while.
Your waterproofs are saturated and the clothes you are wearing under them are pretty damp.
There's no nearby shelter other than stone wall windbreaks.

Question:
How do you get unpacked and into your waterproof bag without getting the inside of the bag middling damp?

hubbike

andrew_s said:
How do you get unpacked and into your waterproof bag without getting the inside of the bag middling damp?
Answer: With disarming simplicity: you don't.

I have had a similar situation with a bivvy bag, and there is no two ways about it, you are going to get wet and stay wet. But I did stay quite warm. Nevertheless, in the summer months it is worth taking the risk in my opinion.

andym

Über Member
hubbike said:
Nevertheless, in the summer months it is worth taking the risk in my opinion.

When I've looked at the weights of bivvy bags or hammocks the weight savings didn't seem to be that significant when compared with a lightweight tent.

Fine for short trips when you can listen to the weather forecast and pack accordingly - but for a longer trip I'm not so sure.

ChrisKH

Guru
Magna said:
Thanks. You weren't wrong. And a few of you have confirmed my suspicions about the suitability to our clime. Still dead keen on one though. It's obvious there aren't many around so perhaps you may want to peruse the site if you haven't came across them.

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

Anyway, have lots more questions but will be patient and not saturate the board just yet.

Actually, they do look pretty cool. But I'd be more worried about finding suitable trees,unless you were headed for a wooded area.

Orintex

Hammocks are the best, most comfortable, lightest way to camp. If you're going somewhere with no trees take some rock climbing hardware and string it up between a couple of boulders. Alternatively, DDHammocks do a hammock that doubles up as a Bivi.

jay clock

Massive member
there are hammocks that pack down to the size of your fist. They are also wider than they are long and can be hung from one fixed point, eliminating the need for a second tree.
how can you do that? sounds like a miracle of science.....

andym

Über Member
jay clock said:
sounds like a miracle of science.....

Sounds like 100 percent BS...

Top Bottom