Hamster issues .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
One things vets do with hamsters which is quite good is put them on tables rather than handling them as arch says. With my hamsters I found that they enjoyed late night television. When they get older you can also give them things to hoarde.

Yes. Just consulted Simon over lunch and he says, picking it up from below (try to scoop it onto your hand) rather than grabbing from above. The reason being, when your hand is just flat underneath, hammy thinks it's the ground, and even the dumbest hammy doesn't tend to attack the ground. From above, you appear to be like an eagle or something...

Was only when a friend of mine got one recently that I properly realised they are omnivores - hers developed a liking for crispy fried bacon... And then had to go on a diet...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
redcogs said:
You mean like gold bullion? Where's Patrick, he's the financial expert?

Hehe. Appropiate nuts and things. They love it. From time to time they gather up their hoarde in their cheeks as if they are moving house and then later take them out again. They seem to have fun doing so.

fuzzy29

marinyork said:
With my hamsters I found that they enjoyed late night television.

Let me guess, you're watching one of the 'free views' on Sky and the wife/ girlfriend walks in and you say "it's helping the hampster to relax!" :biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
marinyork said:
Hehe. Appropiate nuts and things. They love it. From time to time they gather up their hoarde in their cheeks as if they are moving house and then later take them out again. They seem to have fun doing so.

Yeah, I knew one once, had a passion for 3/8ths Whitworth bolts...

Turned out it was building a Spitfire in secret. One day, it flew off and shot down a seagull.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Arch said:
Yeah, I knew one once, had a passion for 3/8ths Whitworth bolts...

Turned out it was building a Spitfire in secret. One day, it flew off and shot down a seagull.

Shame you couldn't have got it to build a model flying helicopter.

ajevans

Only 2"? That'll flush nicely down the toilet. No mess, job solved! :biggrin:

Agree with previous poster that pet rats are a much better option. Far more intelligent and sociable with humans.

Had them as a teenager. They like to sit on your shoulder and cuddle up to your neck. My little brother tried to get his hamster to do the same, unfortunately hamsters are not too bright and it just walked off his shoulder and fell down a flight of stairs to his death. Somehow my parents found me partially responsible! :biggrin:

When I was a kid I, or rather we, had a hamster. It was your typical looking tan and white "Hammy" stylie.

It had a sideline in escapology. No matter what we did to its cage, it always got out.

It once went missing for a week, couldn't find it anywhere. It was early October so my father lit the open coal fire. Five minutes later coming down the chimney like spiderman, it's the bloody hamster!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
My schooldays were marred by the class gerbil dying while I was taking my turn at looking after it for the weekend at home! :biggrin:

TimO

Guru
Arch said:
...Was only when a friend of mine got one recently that I properly realised they are omnivores - hers developed a liking for crispy fried bacon...
LOL, omnivorous they may be, but I'm fairly certain crispy fried bacon isn't overly natural, unless you know of a species of wild pig that lives in an area noted for it's high incidence of lightning strikes.:biggrin:

longers said:
If this link works:-

It's probably the last thing a hamster wants to see on their wheel.:biggrin:

Damn, if you know of a hamster that needs a wheel that large, those moggies aren't going to worry it!

I love the way they are all trying to use it simultaneously, but eventually the other two give up, and the one that's left just gets slower and slower...

I pray forgiveness for this............ but you brought it upon yourselves!
Tomorrow, give them a little fricase dish for tea

Guy goes into a pet shop and buys a hamster, but it dies

SO he takes it back.

Shop replaces it, but the same thing happens again

This time the shop refuses to replace as it must be the guy's fault.

Irate customer asks what to do with two dead hamsters, so the shopkeeper offers a recipe for a preserve made from the hamsters:

Boil in water and add sugar until the mixture thickens...

Guy does this and tastes the result - it is absolutely foul, so he puts it in the bin.

Following day the bin is full of wonderful bright flowers.....................

In other words - Tulips from hamster jam

Arch

Married to Night Train
Lardyboy said:
When I was a kid I, or rather we, had a hamster. It was your typical looking tan and white "Hammy" stylie.

It had a sideline in escapology. No matter what we did to its cage, it always got out.

It once went missing for a week, couldn't find it anywhere. It was early October so my father lit the open coal fire. Five minutes later coming down the chimney like spiderman, it's the bloody hamster!

My godmother and her family had one like that. They ended up wiring those cake cooling trays with a square mesh to the outside of the cage, to make the gaps even smaller. Still got out, with no visible hole. We reckon it gnawed a hole, and then when out, welded the mesh back again...

Top Bottom