Hamstring woes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Hi guys

I badly tore my hamstrings 2 years ago (was a minor tear when playing footie made worse after i felt better 2 weeks later and tried a horse kick at kung fu!) which still hasnt fully healed.

i spend 8 weeks out of all sport and then started rugby training and did loads of stretching etc before training and matches etc but have noticed that with tiredness i still get a liot of pain and tightening of my left hamstring! i tried playing rugby (second row) after the summer and the training sessions where great but as soon as match day came i'd be off in the second half due to niggling pain and the threat of it pulling again! i gave up rugby due to work and am doing lots of cycling now thinking i'd be safe but the pain is back! i normally feel it after hills or when its cold.

when i first pulled it i went to a chiropractor who gave me a hamstring rehab program (involves a lot of running and lunges) but due to problems with Shin Splints i cant do this atall more than once a week (his suggestion was 4 times minimum) i dont have much space to stretch out and the stretches i can do dont hit the right spot, it feels like its deep in the centre of my left hamstring, my mum has tried to help using swiss and thai massage to stretch out etc but even thats not working!

Anyone got any ideas on what i can do as gp's are crap for this sort of thing and i now cant get any time to visit a chiropractor due to work! i also cant afford a personal trainer or a gym so it will have to be home brew remedys!

thanks in advance

400bhp

Guru
Why did you go to a chiropractor :nono: Should have gone to am physio.

I tore my hamstring around 5-6 years ago and still get some recurring problems now. I visited a physio at the time and he gave me some specific stretches to do, plus he also treated the injury with some sonic/heat treatment IIRC.

The other thing was that he looked at my running gait whilst I was stood on a treadmill (I had torn it whilst running on a treadmill). He was amazed I didn't have shin splints, therefore perhaps you have the same symptoms as I had?. He got me to buy a pair of special foot supposts to go under the bridges of my feet. These helped.

If I was you I would seriously think about getting a short course of physio - sessions are generally £30 p/h. It is worth investing a bit of money in this to get the right treatment and to get the correct diagnosis.

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I'm damn sure the physio striongly advised against this.
it was light jogging building up to sub maximal springs all over 100 metre stretch and repeated 4 times (so 10 mtr jog, 25 metre walking lunges, then jog etc) so built into it slowly however 18 stone, lunges and tarmac dont work well and i dont fancy taking rugby boots to a random field to do it in

the chiropractor reset my pelvis as it was twisted (helped loads) and we works with bath rugby so was well recomended for sports injuries.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Anyone got any ideas on what i can do as gp's are crap for this sort of thing and i now cant get any time to visit a chiropractor due to work! i also cant afford a personal trainer or a gym so it will have to be home brew remedys!

thanks in advance

Why did you go to a chiropractor :stop: Should have gone to am physio.

If I was you I would seriously think about getting a short course of physio - sessions are generally £30 p/h. It is worth investing a bit of money in this to get the right treatment and to get the correct diagnosis.
My experience of injuries (mainly knee and neck/shoulder) is that the way to get sorted is to get to the physios.

Around here, we can get the GP to refer or self-refer to a physio treatment centre. It takes longer to get treatment through the NHS - but time is money ;).

The big advantage of physios is that, rather than give you a massage to 'sort it', they assess the condition, then give you exercises to do - so the onus is on you to do them if you want improvement. They monitor progress and can easily tell if you have been doing the exercises or not ! :unsure:

At my advanced years (yes - I am over 45 :rolleyes:) I find it takes longer to recover from injury. Once I think I am good to go, I know I have to wait another few days before going for it again. From what you have posted, maybe you are a bit similar - you want to get in and after it not now but yesterday :cursing:. Infuriating re-injury has taught me patience - the hard way :sad:.

Top Bottom