Handbuilt wheel advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt12345

I have been offered a pair of handbuilt wheels for £145. I am looking for a set of new wheels but I have no idea about handbuilts and want to hear peoples opinions on these.
They consist of a set of pave 28 alloy breaking rims laced to DT swiss350 hubs.
10 speed Shimano freehub body fitted ( only used component) rest of components including hubs are new.

https://plus.google.com/115333461120959744311/posts/6X7FBzPHFUj

I have googled the components but have not really found alot.
Any advice will be appreciated

The wheel has too few spokes, the hubs are rubbish and the rear hub's freehub body has been "owned" by the cassette. Move on.

The 'thing' about handbuilt wheels is they're built to your spec by someone you trust (either by knowledge or reputation) I could knock up a set of wheels, doesn't mean they'd be any good though.

I have a pack of "hand salted" gravalax in my fridge. This hand thing is way over the top but hey, I milked the hell out of it when I still built wheels.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have a pack of "hand salted" gravalax in my fridge. This hand thing is way over the top but hey, I milked the hell out of it when I still built wheels.
On my collection of bikes there are 11 wheels (one bike has an 'alternative' wheel with different gearing on it) all built by the same fella, a couple of the rears are laced 4 cross and another one I got him to lace up to the 'Spa Cycles' recipe of plain guage one side, butted the other.

EDIT - BTW the other bikes have .'factory' wheels on them but the Roval 'Classique Pave' also claim to be 'handlaced'.

Top Bottom