Handbuilt wheels from Parker International?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris James

Über Member
Also put this on Bike Radar ....

I am looking at getting some new summer wheels for my audax bike - something like 105 hubs (maybe ultegra if budget stretches) and open pro or rigida zenith rims.

I see Parker are very keenly priced (presumably through volume sales of the rims and hubs) and I am hoping not to spend too much on these wheels.

Anyone bought handbuilts from them? Any good? Any problems?

My LBS only seem to want to sell me factory wheels and so unless I trail over to Chris Marshall in Keighley then I will probably go for mail order. Also considering Byer Cycles.

Summerland

I'm sure they will do a good job, however, I prefer to use a specailist when it comes to my wheels, someone who just builds wheels. I can highly recommend steve in scotland, he sorted me out for wheels after poor experience eslewhere. Tell him what you want.
Not sure how to post links so sorry of this does not work http://www.roadacecomponents.co.uk/

gavintc

Guru
Summerland said:
I'm sure they will do a good job, however, I prefer to use a specailist when it comes to my wheels, someone who just builds wheels. I can highly recommend steve in scotland, he sorted me out for wheels after poor experience eslewhere. Tell him what you want.
Not sure how to post links so sorry of this does not work http://www.roadacecomponents.co.uk/

Thanks for the link - now bookmarked. I have always used factory built wheels but am tempted to use handbuilts for my next set of good wheels.

OP
OP
Chris James

Chris James

Über Member
Summerland said:

I have checked out his website before and he seems to come recommended on Bike radar too. Him and Derek at Wheelsmith. I guess I was asking about Parker as I am a bit of a skinflint and they seem cheap!

OP
OP
Chris James

Chris James

Über Member
accountantpete said:
Nowt wrong with factory wheels - they are lighter,faster and if you do your research just as strong as hand-builts.

Any recommendations for factory builts at a £200 budget?

I am not wedded to handbuilts but have been put off so far by:

Shimano RS series spoke breakages and difficulty and expense of sourcing replacements

Budget Mavics being quite heavy and many of them requiring returing to service centre for any work

Eastons apparently being incredibly hard to get tyres on.

Minor makes being difficult to source spares for.

Planet X Model Bs (otherwise a contender) having alloy freebodies that are notched by Shimano 10 speed cassettes.

TechMech

What about Dave Hinde? My mate has used him several times with no problems.

I've just costed out a set of wheels (front and back) from him this afternoon:

Mavic CXP33 rims in black, with black ACI DB spokes and 105 hubs for £188

Have a look at the handbuilt wheels here

Tynan

Veteran
my LBS have just replaced my front wheel after a pothole crack incident

the existing 36 hole hub plus Mavic open pro rim and double butted spokes for £60, does that seem fair price wise?

apologies for slight thread hijack

Fiona N

Veteran
TechMech said:
What about Dave Hinde? My mate has used him several times with no problems.

I've just costed out a set of wheels (front and back) from him this afternoon:

Mavic CXP33 rims in black, with black ACI DB spokes and 105 hubs for £188

Have a look at the handbuilt wheels here

I can second Dave Hinde - some wheels (exact spec as above, oddly. EDIT: I take this back - the hubs were Campag Veloce) he built for me 9 years ago have been on three bikes, done >40,000 km with only occasional tweaking of spokes to maintain trueness.
Couldn't ask for more (except he might be a bit friendlier - or maybe he doesn't like making wheels for women?)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Always worth looking on the net for opinions of wheelbuilding and the companies that make them
click me

I would;d happily recommend Harry Rowland, as do C+ pretty much everytime they do a wheel test

Chris James said:
Any recommendations for factory builts at a £200 budget?

I am not wedded to handbuilts but have been put off so far by:

Shimano RS series spoke breakages and difficulty and expense of sourcing replacements

Budget Mavics being quite heavy and many of them requiring returing to service centre for any work

Eastons apparently being incredibly hard to get tyres on.

Minor makes being difficult to source spares for.

Planet X Model Bs (otherwise a contender) having alloy freebodies that are notched by Shimano 10 speed cassettes.

You can usually source lightly used second hand wheels off eBay - but here's a new example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAMPAGNOLO-ZO...ikeparts_SR?hash=item3a56dbfa98#ht_500wt_1182

All the Campag wheels above and including Zonda's have record class hubs and in my experience are built to last.

OP
OP
Chris James

Chris James

Über Member
Steve Austin said:
Always worth looking on the net for opinions of wheelbuilding and the companies that make them
click me

I would;d happily recommend Harry Rowland, as do C+ pretty much everytime they do a wheel test

Very discreet! I've read the same threads before, and done the same google with 'opinions' replaced by 'trading standards'!

Top Bottom