Handle bar set up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Nope - all measurements quoted for bar measurement for drops are centre to centre at the top of the drop on conventional drops as most people ride with their hands on the hoods. Flared bars may show both centre to centre and width at the ends or a degree of flare, but flat/riser bars are quoted as end to end.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nope - all measurements quoted for bar measurement for drops are centre to centre at the top of the drop on conventional drops as most people ride with their hands on the hoods. Flared bars may show both centre to centre and width at the ends or a degree of flare, but flat/riser bars are quoted as end to end.
Park Tool disagree:
Drop-Bar-Dimensions-rev2.jpg

Hood ridng is a recent fad anyway, but there's no standard for this, so I apologise for not being clear I was talking end measurements. I'd not realised anyone viewed other widths as headline.

Last edited:

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Good evening,

Maybe someone can assist with my current issue.

I have found that if i am comfortable riding in the hoods then it means that im not comfortable in the drops and vice versa.When comfortable in the hoods i have rotated the handle bars to where i cant reach the brakes easily and my hands are resting on the ends of the drops. If im allngood in the drops the hoods seem to be to far away and my reach is increased.

Is it worth adjusting the gear/brake levers back on the bar once i am comfortable in the drops. Im guessing i would need to remove bar tape etc.

Also would i need to adjust tension in the gears and brake cables?

any help would be appreciated.
Further to my earlier reply. Today as a test I put back on my 90mm stem and sure as eggs are eggs the bars felt fine for a few miles. Riding in the hoods was OK with no loss of power, but........ as I ride 95% of the time in the drops after about 15 miles I started to get a sore neck, bearing in mind the last 17 outings on the 100mm stem have been pain free. So the 100mm stem is back and I will stay in the drops. Life is a compromise and hope you find a solution. Let us know how you get on.

Top Bottom