Handlebar bag or seatpost bag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I need a bigger capicity bag for this years planned rides. I'm thinking 4 litres approx

Does having a handlebar bag of a good size affect stearing?

and

Can a seatpost bag of the same size be used on a carbon post?

Thanks, Neil.

Hi Lien,

I cant answer your question, but I've been shopping around and have found potentially the nicest handlebar bags I have seen. Pricey though mind but very very nice:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gilles-berthoud-gilles-berthoud-handlebar-bag-gb905-prod18852/

vickster

Legendary Member
The problem I find with handlebar bags is that they restrict the amount of space for your hands!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
The problem I find with handlebar bags is that they restrict the amount of space for your hands!

I have 2 topeak bags (1 large and 1 small) and they are on a quick release mount that stands proud of the handlebars, the mounting takes up about 1 - 2cm either side of the stem where it mounts to the handlebars so not where your hands would be.

If you look at the picture below (just a random picture off google) there is a large gap between the handlebars and the bag so nowhere near where your hands would be, your can put your hands on the handlebars directly behind the bag and you wont be touching the bag.

KICX3158.JPG

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a cheap one that just straps on with velcro...that looks like a far more elaborate contraption

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I have a cheap one that just straps on with velcro...that looks like a far more elaborate contraption

The reason I like the topeak ones is that unlike some bags I have had they dont have a solid liner i.e. it isnt like having a wooden box strapped to the bike and as a result stuff doesnt rattle around inside it, they have plenty of pockets for stuff, a handle on top for carrying and they all use the same quick release mount so you can use any bag on the same mount and you not spending ages at stop messing around getting the bag on and off.

I have the small bag for local rides and the large bag for day rides. They are quite expensive, but I got the large one in a sale at halfords and I got the small one for half price from someone on ebay :thumbsup:

I also have a topeak large wedge saddle bag and I use that just for tubes and tools.

PpPete

Legendary Member
If you go for a handlebar bag, suggest you get one with a Rixen Kaul "klick-fix" fitting - very well designed to stop bag sagging and spares readily available.

colly

Re member eR
I have tried a bar bag and although it gives plenty of room for stuff I found it wasn't long before it was slipping forward around the bars. So if you get one make sure it has a a first class mount, maybe with some kind of brace to stop it rotating. I also found that the steering took a little getting used to. It did seem to make the bike feel sort of ponderous.
It took up space on the bars too. What with a light mount and comp as well.

I've not tried a seat post mount but I imaging it would need to be a sturdy device to work properly.

yello

I'm a bar bag convert. They don't make steering any heavier, ime (well, they might if you fill it with bricks!) and are just the thing for the odd bits and pieces you need on a ride; cameras, biscuits, arm warmers, biscuits, gloves, biscuits.....

Good support and fixing is essential ime. The rixen paul method is good and solid, there are others. Avoid cheap looking fittings, they'll only bite your bum later. Also useful (if you have more than one bike) is being able to buy the fittings separately, allowing you to easily use the bag on other bikes.

Another thing to check (if you have drops) is the width of the bag. On narrower drops (38 or 40cm) some bags could leave you struggling for hand space, particular if the bar bag has 'useful' pockets on the side! (Pockets, particularly external ones, can actually be more of a pain than an aid ime, a simple box style bar bag is perhaps the thing to look for)

There are any number of makes that'll do the job, I have no personal preference. I just went into my LBS and bought the one that looked the most robust and gave me what I wanted storage-wise. It had a plastic map cover thing on the top but I've never used it - again, it's more of a pain than a use!

I like having a bar bag - mine's a cheapo Halfords one; good robust non-slip clip. Enough handy pockets. Velcro attached map holder

But unless you put on another bar thingie (like in the photo), lights are a problem.

I'm definately getting one for touring, I do fancy a 'traditional' looking one like in the link I posted. Alternatively I found instructions here for a DIY one:

http://ifihadabikeblog.blogspot.com/2010/10/diy-handlebar-bag.html

IMG_3945.JPG

Now I do prefer one that will sit lower like in that picture, and will keep my handlebar open for lights etc

I just need to find someone to sew it for me! I'm going to make some inquiries at tailors to see if they can help....

Top Bottom