Handlebar bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LWeleven

Any recommendations
not really keen on the rolls ..although I can see they probably hold more
i prefer easy access ,hence not looking at rolls
but I need a reasonable holding volume

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've got the Ortlieb Ultimate 6 plus bar bag, I'd say it's perfect. Easy access, the lid is secured by magnets and you just pull a tab on the lid to open it, and flip it closed when done. The magnets are really secure, it doesn't come open while riding, and it holds plenty of stuff. It also comes with a shoulder strap so you can just click it off the bike and carry it with you like a shoulder bag. You need a fixing kit, I got the Rixen and Kaul click kit which means you can lock the bag onto the mount for short stops to save it going missing.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m5b0s76p4439/ORTLIEB-Ultimate-6-Plus-8-5-Litre-Bar-Bag-2020

All uphill

Still rolling along
I bought an ebay cheapie a while ago and really didn't like the effect on my bikes handling and response to crosswinds - I did use the bag a few times and will use it again when I need the carrying capacity, but always as a last resort.

You may know your bike is fine with weight and area at the front, but if not its worth checking.

Ive used Carradice for years. Basically a corrugated plastic rivetted box covered in canvas.
The Rixen and Kaul mounting, with anti rotation wire wrapped under the stem is key to the effectiveness. Most other mounts use a massive plastic clamp to prevent rotation.

I imagine the best for you will depend on what you will use it for, the bike etc.

I've never liked the Ortliebs and the fact that so many use a third party mount.

For Touring I got an Arkel. Canadian, tough and well made. Good customet service too.
Not cheap but mine was a gift.

Like a lot of things, have a good think before you buy

OP
OP
LWeleven

LWeleven

I've got the Ortlieb Ultimate 6 plus bar bag, I'd say it's perfect. Easy access, the lid is secured by magnets and you just pull a tab on the lid to open it, and flip it closed when done. The magnets are really secure, it doesn't come open while riding, and it holds plenty of stuff. It also comes with a shoulder strap so you can just click it off the bike and carry it with you like a shoulder bag. You need a fixing kit, I got the Rixen and Kaul click kit which means you can lock the bag onto the mount for short stops to save it going missing.
https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m5b0s76p4439/ORTLIEB-Ultimate-6-Plus-8-5-Litre-Bar-Bag-2020
Thanks for the link 8.5 litres isn’t to bad 👍

OP
OP
LWeleven

LWeleven

I imagine the best for you will depend on what you will use it for, the bike etc.

I've never liked the Ortliebs and the fact that so many use a third party mount.

For Touring I got an Arkel. Canadian, tough and well made. Good customet service too.
Not cheap but mine was a gift.

Like a lot of things, have a good think before you buy
Thanks for that I will look more into those I saw they did a roll and panniers but haven’t looked fully into there range

OP
OP
LWeleven

LWeleven

https://www.parkersofbolton.co.uk/c...sonic-5-litre-waterproof-handle-bar-bag-black

i have one of these, also has Rixen and Kaul click fit, and whilst it looks like a roll top, it just a quick roll and click to secure an can be opened in situe unlike a bikepacking roll type
I like that but would be nice if a bit bigger r 👍

OP
OP
LWeleven

LWeleven

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I use one of these on the commuter - I can just about fit a small laptop into it if I have to. I know it doesn’t match the OP’s spec and I wouldn’t use it for touring where I might need to access the contents frequently, but they’re a great price at the moment so maybe worth a look.

Top Bottom