Handlebar camera mount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
You know how cyclists with cameras always say "it doesn't really change how you ride, eventually you get used to it and forget it's there"? I'm here to tell you it's true

Riding down City Road (London) this morning, heard a clonk and a clatter, nothing seemed to have stopped working so assumed it was a piece of rubbish in the road or someone else's bike/car/van. Got to work a few minutes later, looked down at the handlebar to stop the camera recording, no camera there! The case had completely sheared off where the prongs come out :-(

When I went back to look for it I found the (rather battered looking) case at the side of the road, but the camera that had been inside it was nowhere to be found
8f94f9a8c9afcf1f.jpg

Now I have that whole which-camera-to-buy analysis paralysis to do over, plus need to find a better mount that won't fail due to vibration

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Dan B

Disengaged member
Does that have any kind of vibration damping? The mount didn't fail, the case cracked - I'm assuming due to too many months of too much vibration from London's bad roads

Slick

Guru
Wow, I didn't think that was even possible. I've lost the odd rear light but I'd be sick if I lost my camera. I use the hero 5 session which is mounted differently but still in a kind of case. I'll need to see if I can fashion some kind of teather for that now.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Wow, I didn't think that was even possible. I've lost the odd rear light but I'd be sick if I lost my camera. I use the hero 5 session which is mounted differently but still in a kind of case. I'll need to see if I can fashion some kind of teather for that now.

An unused one from a hand camera will do the job nicely. :okay:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Sounds like a plan. I'll see if the same method works on the rear camera too. Thanks.
Rear one might be more awkward unless it too is in a case. A case would probably have some surplus material you could drill with a 1mm bit. Even if it didn't, a hole in (say) a corner could be made watertight with a blob of epoxy. No case and you would need to be very careful.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Does that have any kind of vibration damping? The mount didn't fail, the case cracked - I'm assuming due to too many months of too much vibration from London's bad roads
I recently posted a link to the mount I use to reduce the vibrations reaching the camera from the road. A lot of camera mounts are too long IMO and make it worse.

Trashing the camera is an ever-present risk. Don't spend more than you're OK with losing :-/

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
i used a similar one when i first had my Garmin virb and on the 2 or 3rd ride i glanced down to see the camera swaying in the breeze as 1 of the screws holding the camera adapter had unscrewed itself completely and the 2nd one was just in place
Yikes !

I have yet to find the screws loose but will be sure to check.

It has made me a bit worried now as I was going to try mine out again tonight .
As glasgowcyclist has pointed out it looks like it has fractured on the mounting. I noticed the other day when I was trying to stop my Apeman flopping down that the handlebar mount and camera mount work against one another. If you tighten the bar mount up it has the opposite effect on the camera mount making it loose. I was wondering if this action could put more stress into this part of the clamp .
I will now look for the tether cable .

Top Bottom