Handlebar Camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I have a go pro which is perfect other than the price. I did visit PC World recently and they had a good mixture of cheaper bullet type cameras that would do the job.

bluenotebob

Veteran
A great idea - but rather than price or 'switchonability', I'd make smallness my main objective. I've wanting to put a small TV on my handlebars for a while now (to give me something else to think about on long stretches of boring quiet roads) but have simply no idea how I'd squeeze it onto my 'handlebar console'

vickster

Legendary Member
A great idea - but rather than price or 'switchonability', I'd make smallness my main objective. I've wanting to put a small TV on my handlebars for a while now (to give me something else to think about on long stretches of boring quiet roads) but have simply no idea how I'd squeeze it onto my 'handlebar console'
Can't you just use a smart phone with downloads, or listen to podcasts through one ear or with those bone conducting earphones

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
The Cycliq Fly 12 is a one button press on/off, but the price, even for the old version, isn't currently cheap.
If you don't get sorted through one of the previous posts, it might be worth keeping an eye on Chain Reaction or Wiggle, or the "Found a Bargain" thread. I got my Fly 12 earlier this year in a clearance sale from Chain Reaction, for a little over a ton.

Joffey

Big Dosser
GoPro Session 4 - You can pick them up for £100 on eBay. A great bit of kit. Small, 1 press and links to your phone to download video.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
[QUOTE 5299178, member: 9609"]Looking for a cheap video cam to fit on the handlebars - main criteria is I need to be able to switch it on quickly and easily. 'a one button press'

I see very very little traffic when Im out (about 5 today in 30 mile) but there is someone who passes me from time to time and is going on a bit weird, police coulndt be less interested if they tried so I would like a cam just to switch on when I hear him coming,[/QUOTE]

Do you have an Aldi near you?

Their rear cam has been dropped to £4.99 (from about £40) in some stores and it would be a doddle to fit to the bars instead. Assuming it has the same buttons as the Fly6 that it copies, the on switch needs a 2-second press to activate it.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
[QUOTE 5299386, member: 9609"]it is only to capture a one off incident <snip> It just needs to be switched on quickly, [/QUOTE]

Agree that the Garmin Virb is easy to start recording (even if switched off) - but mine isn't at all quick ; about 10 seconds from off to recording.
That's an older/cheap model. The later ones are presumably better; try before you buy.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Any camera will need at least 5 seconds to start recording from when you hear him. I assume he drives faster than that? If it is a one of incident you want to record, I can loan you one for a couple of weeks.

Mile195

Veteran
I use the Contour Roam 2. One big slidy switch on the top to start and stop it.

run at 720p, low quality, 25fps, it gets about 3 hours out of a battery when new. Mine's 2.5 years old. It still does two and a half hours on a full battery.

They don't make the Roam 2 anymore, but I understand there is a new incarnation, along the same basic lines, except you can swap the battery out.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
None of the cameras I've used over the years have been one button on or paryicularly quivck. Your best bet may be a dashcam that starts recording when the ignition is turned on and to stick a switch in the USB power line to it (use a USB battery pack).

Any recordings from it may be fairly useless to the police because any defence worth their salt should create reasonable doubt by questioning why you don't usually have the camera on and what illegal incitement you did before hitting record.

Top Bottom