Handlebar choice - hand discomfort and lower back injury

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
the stupid one

the stupid one

Über Member
Evening all. Many thanks for the continued responses. Tilley, there's a recumbent trike user locally, and it terrifies me how close he is to the road! Not for me! But thanks for the suggestion - I'll take a look at them for the sake of an education.

Heltor, I still haven't quite wrapped my brain around the moving-the-seat-back thing, although it's very well documented. I moved the seat on the MTB back, anyway, though I have yet to test it out.

Anyway, the butterfly bars arrived today, so I threw them onto the old Ridgeback, bodged the bar tape and a couple of old grips and then . . . well I'd also ordered some new brake cables and blocks, so I spent a while changing those (another first). And THEN I went out for a quick blast up and down the road, and first impressions were really good: three good hand positions plus there seemed a lot less weight on the saddle too. Quandary - do I take out the bike I'm used to or the new-fangled old Ridgeback for Sunday's Bikeathon?!

OP
OP
the stupid one

the stupid one

Über Member
Long ride today, so the new handlebars gave me a workout. After five and a half hours in the saddle, my hands are very mildly affected, just about on the edge of pins-and-needles. I'm very happy with that. And for the great majority of the time I was in the most upright position, which is closest to that of the straight MTB handlebars. The difference, I think, is that my hands were turned in rather than out, and slightly closer together. Possibly too I'm putting less weight through my hands due to the seat position.

Anyway, a little more fiddling with the seat and handlebars might be required, perhaps just raising both a smidge because when I stretched forward to get lower into the wind I felt that my legs were bending a little too much.

I think these butterfly bars will be a success, so thanks for all the help and suggestions, folks.

Steve

Top Bottom