Handlebar/stem change 1 or both?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm still a bit uncomfortable on my bike... and feel as if my elbows are lifted too much when on the bike... I also frequently notice that my shoulders are tensed up... I consiously release them ... only for them to go back to the previous state. I have been getting a bit of back ache too.

My current bars are almost flat - a small rise in them. My wrists also seem to be pointing out (ish). (There is a chance this bike is too big for me - but the size smaller definately felt too small).

What I was wondering is do I just need to change the stem to make the bars higher or change the type of handlebars? I had wondered about those ones that curve slightly backwards towards the rider? (But not enormous possy ones that would get in the way when trying to filter).

I'll try and get a photo later to illustrate what I mean, but which should I change first to try and improve my comfort?

Sounds like your bars are too wide with not enough backsweep. I'm in Bristol for three weeks from tomorrow Summerdays, would you like me to take a look at your bike sometime? I'm pretty good at sorting out peoples riding position.

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Yes please... though I'm pretty busy - but I'm sure I could find some gap in my busy calendar!!! I was busy looking at other people's handlebars today... nearly asked the guy with the butterfly bars for a go (except I would be late getting back to school), and found another bike with swept back bars in a bike stand... and we had a good look though I kept expecting the owner to come up and ask me to stop touching their bike.

Interestingly my friend who was with me at that point tried my handlebars and thought that they seemed wider than hers (it was an comment she made rather than me asking her for advice so there may be something in that).

Top Bottom