handlebar stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

teds1969

new to cycling and just purchased a 2nd hand specialized allez. Going by the colour (yellow with black carbon forks) i have been told it is an 02 model. I was looking to adjust the handlebar stem for a shorter one and found that the diameter is 1". However going by information on the web about this bike it states it should be 1 1/8". All the replacemement handlebar stems on sale that i have seen are 1 1/8". Has anyone else come across this problem?

You just need a shim (it's a bit of alloy tubing that goes onto the steerer so that 1 1/8th stem can be used).

A lot of new stems should come with such a shim - but I would have thought 1" stems are pretty easy to come by esp on eBay.

PpPete

Legendary Member
So called 1" Stems are usually the old-school quill type for a threaded steerer.
Doubt the Aleez has one of those ?

Post a pic of what you've got if you can.

Ben M

As above really, do you have a quill or A head stem?

An A head stem comprises only of the "sticky out bit" it clamps onto the handlebars and to the top of the steerer tube. A quill stem has a ~90 degree bend in it and it clamps onto the handlebar and inserts down into the steerer.

OP
OP
T

teds1969

thankyou for your reply. Yes i have ordered a shim off ebay, and furthermore 1" stems are virtually unheard of on ebay, everything appears to be 1 1/8". The bike appears to be standard and the existing stem is a "ritchey" which i believe came originally with the bike. Only brought this up as everyone i have spoken to thought it should have 1 1/8" fittings. It does not have a threaded steerer.

Top Bottom