Handlebar tape and cross levers

rh100

Well-Known Member
I have stripped off the old handlebar tape from the bars on my Galaxy project.

I will be using brasso on the stem and centre part of the bars to clean it up. However - the parts where the old tape was is a complete mess, all the old gunk from the old tape, is there an easy way getting this crap off or don't you bother, covering it over with the new stuff?

Also on reading up about replacing tape, it says to use insulation tape to finish off the ends in the middle of the bars, won't this look a bit pants?

And also, I have purchased some cross top brake levers, any particular position for these or just where is likely to be most comfy (haven't ridden drops before so don't know where my hands will sit :laugh: ) , this will also obviously affect the tape aswell. If anyone's got any pics of there handlebar tape/lever layout I would appreciate it. Thanks.
 

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Location
Suffolk.
When you buy some new tape it will come with 2 bits of insulation tape to finish the ends off. see here http://bicycletutor.com/drop-handlebar-tape/
 
Location
Edinburgh
Not sure about the cleaning it off, but if it is where the new tape will sit, try scraping/rolling it off.

Get some insulation tape to match or contrast to your tape and it looks OK. Just wrap it round neatly to secure the end of the tape.

I don't have cross top levers (whatever they are) but since they probably need fitting before you put the tape on, adjust them to fit comfortably before you wrap it all up. If this means going for a spin without tape to get the right position, do so.
 

buddha

Veteran
You won't notice how bad the insulation tape looks when compared the unsightly and cluttered mess the cross levers will make of your cabling;)

Which is why I'm ditching mine as soon as I can be bothered. Only used them a couple of times in the 3 months they've been on.
 
OP
rh100

rh100

Well-Known Member
Thanks for the link 4F, will have a look at the vid' when I get home.

The levers are the same as these http://www.kore-usa.com/products/top_mount_brake_lever.html they interrupt the brake cable, supposed to be better than the suicide levers the old style bikes had. The reason I have them is because I love the look of the Galaxy and want to get some use out of it, but I don't think my dodgy back will take the 'drop' position too well.
 

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's an old bike you can make the bars more comfortable by using padded Roubaix tape from Specialized.

Tape inwards from the outside and at the end, cut the tape in a triangle to get a good finish.
 

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Location
Suffolk.
I cut up an old innertube into a single thickness length and wrap that around before adding the tape. Makes the bars super comfortable and loads cheaper than gel pads.
 
OP
rh100

rh100

Well-Known Member
The tape is made by Ritchey.

The tip with the tube sounds a good idea.
 

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Moderator
Location
Stevenage
I don't actually get this whole 'cover the ends with naff-looking tape' thing.
I start taping from the middle, go out to the ends of the bars, tuck the ends inside the bars and the bar plug holds it all in place neatly. Simples!!
*sits back, awaits flaming*
 

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
rh100 said:
Thanks for the link 4F, will have a look at the vid' when I get home.

The levers are the same as these http://www.kore-usa.com/products/top_mount_brake_lever.html they interrupt the brake cable, supposed to be better than the suicide levers the old style bikes had. The reason I have them is because I love the look of the Galaxy and want to get some use out of it, but I don't think my dodgy back will take the 'drop' position too well.
IME 99.9% of the time you brake with your hands on the hoods anyway, fingers on the the levers.
 

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
TheDoctor said:
I don't actually get this whole 'cover the ends with naff-looking tape' thing.
I start taping from the middle, go out to the ends of the bars, tuck the ends inside the bars and the bar plug holds it all in place neatly. Simples!!
*sits back, awaits flaming*
- that is how it always used to be done (- when I was young, good old days, Mars bars cost threepence - and they were bigger too .... etc, etc, yawn, yawn .....) - when was it decided to change, and why - anyone know?
 

manalog

Über Member
rh100 said:
And also, I have purchased some cross top brake levers, any particular position for these or just where is likely to be most comfy (haven't ridden drops before so don't know where my hands will sit :rofl: ) , this will also obviously affect the tape aswell. If anyone's got any pics of there handlebar tape/lever layout I would appreciate it. Thanks.
I have CrossTop Lever and tried to tape my Handlebar the"Conventional Way" ie from the bottom to the top and finish off with Insulating Tape but this looks naff. I decided to do this from the top and finish off at the bottom of the bar with the end plugs, look great and no tapes. :rofl: I'll send you a pic when I get home, cant upload to Youtube from work.
 

manalog

Über Member
As promised but my Camera had ran out of batt. I filmed my Handlebar with my Helmet Cam instead.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PeeVQRXq1s


What you need to do is to cut the beginning of the Tape at an angle so that you can tuck it in without bundling up. Start from the bottom of the Handlebar slightly overlapping the beginning of the tape, you might have to use electrical Tape to secure it but don't worry you wont see this as it is under the Bar. Good Luck
 
Top Bottom