Handlebars seem too far away...causing discomfort.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
A few mm can on a well fitting bike, doesn't even touch any compensation you need for a TT that's too long, with a stem that's too long (and in the case of road drops, reach that the bars add)

Gunk

Guru
Mine was already a reasonable fit, (I’m 5’7” and it’s a 51 cms frame) but I’ve got short arms and was stretching slightly to rest on the hoods.

freiston

Veteran
but it can make a slight difference, I’ve made my road bike more comfortable by shifting the saddle forward on the rails slightly and fitting a 70mm handlebar stem.
Setting the saddle back or forward will change the weight distribution but will not change the reach. (IMHO) Once the correct saddle height is attained, the set-back should be adjusted to get the "balance" right regarding weight distribution and once that is sorted, then matters of reach ought to be addressed. @lane posted a good link up-thread which I think gives a very good explanation of the dynamics:
Before you do anything have a good read of this excellent bike fit guide from a bike designer at Spa cycles. See if using this guide you can get a fit that works for you. If you can't then the bike may just not be a good fit for you.

http://wheel-easy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/bike-set-up-2017a.pdf

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Setting the saddle back or forward will change the weight distribution but will not change the reach. (IMHO) Once the correct saddle height is attained, the set-back should be adjusted to get the "balance" right regarding weight distribution and once that is sorted, then matters of reach ought to be addressed. @lane posted a good link up-thread which I think gives a very good explanation of the dynamics:

Changing the set-back will actually change the effective saddle height, they are related.

OP
OP
U

united4ever

Über Member
Thanks for the replies. Back was alright until i started working from home in March using a poor chair. Been riding for a couple of years on this bike. Lot of good info here I shall consider it all.

Top Bottom