Handlebars

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by eskimo, 6 Apr 2010.

1. eskimo

eskimo New Member

I have a Ridgeback flight 01 hybrid bike with flat handlebars. I am going on one of my first proper tours of Scotland soon and was wondering if these handlebars would be sore on my wrists over a few days/week of cycling. Are there alternatives to flat bars? Or is it unlikely to be a problem?

Apologies for my ignorance, fairly new to cycling...

2. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

It depends on your riding style. I like the variety of positions that you get with drops, but a lot of people prefer a more upright stance. You can get butterfly bars, which have the advantages (and disadvantages) of both, but your best bet is to go for some long - 75 mile+ - out-and-back days first to see how you get on.

It's a bit of a faff changing bars and if you have to fit different brakes it's an expensive faff.

3. Have you got bar ends fitted eskimo? that a cheap and fast way to get another hand position.

4. threebikesmcginty

threebikesmcginty Corn Fed Hick...

As ASC1951 says it's be a pain/expense to change bars without knowing if it's going to be of any benefit. As a cheap method of providing a change of hand position you could probably fit bar ends without having to alter too much else.

Edit: HLaB beat me to it!

5. raindog

raindog er.....

+1 to the last two posts - bar ends essential, especially for climbing.

6. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

Also, there's no reason why you can't use a cheap pair of tr-bars either on a flat-bar bike to give your whole upper body a change of cycle postion. You don't need to be going a zillion mph to find benefit from them.

7. mcshroom

mcshroom Bionic Subsonic

+1

I put some on my flat bar hybrid and they they have made a real difference for me.

8. psmiffy

psmiffy -

I find the Cane Creek stlyle bar ends give me enough hand positions on straight bars and would not think of not having them as said above particulaly for climbing - they also allow the shoulders to be a little more open - helps with breathing - however I would go out on a day ride and find out

9. OP
    OP
    eskimo

eskimo New Member

Ok thanks for the replies guys. bar ends seem to be the way forward!

10. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

I can recommend Ergo's. I fitted them to my hybrid recently and they have transformed the bike. Very comfy now.

11. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Man or Moose!

Yup, I agree with this suggestion, something like the Profile Century bars, they are made more for touring than aero, will allow you to stretch out and get a different possition, excellent for long straight roads, will let you get some extra speed as a by product. Aero bars are very comfy when set up in a relaxed angle.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice