Handmade clocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Does anyone here make clocks? The sort where you buy a mechanism and mount it on your picture, lovely bit of wood, needlework, etc.

I'm looking for advice about the sort of mechanism to buy to use in a clock to go outdoors in the garden. Obviously needs to be something weatherproof. Searching online is confusing me, so I thought I'd ask the experts...

Alternatively if you can make me a nice one to go in the garden I'd happily buy one.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
No expert but found this on Amazon. Looks like it would be easy to mount on whatever you want.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I just bought a movement from clockspareparts.co.uk. It wasn't an indoor one, just bought as a replacement for a knackered wall clock but they were pretty helpful when I emailed them.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I just used to buy cheap clocks, throw the face it came with and put my own on.

So long as the mechanism isn't going to get wet, any old should be fine outdoors. And if it doesn't survive frost, try insulating it with a bit of foam, polystyrene or something.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thanks @winjim That's exactly the sort of info I wanted.

@MontyVeda - it's going to get wet. This is the UK. I know we don't get as much rain over here as you do in Lancaster (my brother lives there), but it rains. Sometimes lots!
yeah but all it needs it something covering the mechanism, like a covered clock face with a rim. There's nothing special about my mother's garden clock. It's hung on the side of the garage, there's gutter a couple of feet above it. It doesn't suffer.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Thanks @winjim That's exactly the sort of info I wanted.

@MontyVeda - it's going to get wet. This is the UK. I know we don't get as much rain over here as you do in Lancaster (my brother lives there), but it rains. Sometimes lots!
Sorry, typo. My post should say it wasn't an outdoor one. Anyway, drop them a line and they might be able to help.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I knew people in this forum would have lots of helpful info! Thanks all.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
I’ve made a couple of outdoor clocks in wood and stone, using readily available quartz movements. Ensuring they’re fully weatherproof is very difficult, unless one buys high-end outdoor movements used in tower clocks etc (which start at around £400 from memory). The stone clock with numerals carved in, slotted into a wall, with a sealed lock and lock box set in behind for the movement. Still working I gather.
DM and I’ll look out the designs and drawings if you want an idea of price, or where to get good movements.

Top Bottom