Handshakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simoncc

Has anyone elses noticed that there is a type of man who regards a handshake as a test of strength, administering a crushing grip to unsuspecting victims?

Why do they do it?

Greedo

Some are over the top but you do need a firm handshake as a man or a woman.

I worked in recruitment for years so met hundreds of candidates and clients as well as loads of people in my current role and I can tell you any man with a limp handshake is instantly deemed to be a bit of a knob.

Suprisingly most of the woman I worked with would mention this more than the guys. If they came back from interviewing a candidate or went to meet a client with a handshake like a wet fish they gave them dogs abuse!

Arch

Married to Night Train
You've answered your own question. They think they are displaying their superior strength and manliness.

I've shaken hands with men, and found out afterwards that they tried the handcrushing on my male colleagues, but not me. So I assume it's an alpha male thing.

OP
OP
S

simoncc

Arch said:
You've answered your own question. They think they are displaying their superior strength and manliness.

I've shaken hands with men, and found out afterwards that they tried the handcrushing on my male colleagues, but not me. So I assume it's an alpha male thing.

Yes, my research has found that crushing handshakes are given only to other men not to women.

Also I've noticed that the crushing handshake man is likely to be a bit shy, over jolly and a bit wooden in his movements.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dayvo said:
There was the old saying: firm shake, firm character.
I tend to agree with that.

Being a strong fella, I always give a firm but friendly handshake. Nothing intimidating or challenging about it. I've nothing to prove.

Firm is ok, I prefer a firn handshake to a limp one. But crushing is something more than firm.

OP
OP
S

simoncc

But we are not talking about a reasonably firm handshake, which anyone can do. We are talking about the rare, silly super crushing handshake which the victim is unprepared for given that most people adhere to the convention of the normal, firm handshake.

And as the super crusher is only administered to other men it is obvious that these people vary their handshake according to the recipient. How odd.

simoncc said:
But we are not talking about a reasonably firm handshake, which anyone can do. We are talking about the rare, silly super crushing handshake which the victim is unprepared for given that most people adhere to the convention of the normal, firm handshake.

And as the super crusher is only administered to other men it is obvious that these people vary their handshake according to the recipient. How odd.

The origin of 'our' handshake is to prove that we have come in peace and bear no arms (i.e. empty-handed).

If one of them decides to test his strength and try to prove his superiority, then the other rightly deserves to stab him in the back using the left hand! ;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
What's even worse is the double hander where the other person clasps your hand with both hands to reinforce their sincerity.

tyred

Legendary Member
Just let me clarify. I do like to give a good firm handshake. I don't try and crush anyone's hands.

ChrisKH

Guru
Dayvo said:
The origin of 'our' handshake is to prove that we have come in peace and bear no arms (i.e. empty-handed).

If one of them decides to test his strength and try to prove his superiority, then the other rightly deserves to stab him in the back using the left hand! ;)

I come in peace. But I am ready to fight.

Too much Kung Fu Panda???

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I always offer a very limp hand at first to lull them into a false sense of security, then suddenly enclose their fingers in a vice like grip and bend them backwards till they sink to their knees with tears streaming down their face.

I think it's important to establish a pecking order from the outset.

rich p said:
What's even worse is the double hander where the other person clasps your hand with both hands to reinforce their sincerity.

Yes - or the Mark II version which involves grabbing yer elbow with the left hand.;)
As I mentioned elsewhere, I got involved in a right hotch-potch of 'handy-wandys' with a drug peddler from Amsterdam at the weekend.
I wasn't expecting the two lips though...:smile:

Top Bottom