Hanger Extensions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of Rear Mech Hanger Extensions of this sort of ilk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/A2Z-Rear-M...ers-Black/14012293656?iid=153414380977&chn=ps

Or cheaper

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/183767626904?chn=ps&var=691369733306

Looking at using something like those on my road bikes as the B screw on the rear mech won't supply enough clearance for the jockey/chain/sprocket without some grindy noises (I've tried longer screws but the surface the screw bears on rotates too far to engage properly). 36 tooth sprocket.

Any good? Problems? Successes?

TIA

Used one on my Scott when I went up to 34t, worked fine. Don't remember paying that much, though!

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I took mine off after hearing some spokes ringing. Bent main hanger. When that was fixed, I reassembled everything but with the B screw reversed and out as far as was safe. Didn't need the hanger then. But 36t - pretty certain you'll have to use one.
Yep - I've been fettling a pal's bike. Deffo need something as a grinding noise occurs on the 36. I originally thought the B Screw adjustment would work. Even went to the huge expense of buying a longer one. But the rotation is too much for engagement at the flangey bit. Interested for myself too as age goes up so does my sprocket size (although the chainring size does go down).

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've been fettling a pal's bike. Deffo need something as a grinding noise occurs on the 36.
What RD has this bike got fitted, please?
Imo this focus on ever-widening the range of the sprocket is flawed. You are accepting lower quality shifting at the rear when the solution, when you're tempted to employ a 34t or 36t at the rear, is to reduce the size of your chainrings instead. 32t is enough (and already well beyond spec) for any mainstream road mech.

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
What RD has this bike got fitted, please.
Imo this focus on ever-widening the range of the sprocket is flawed. You are accepting lower quality shifting at the rear when the solution, when you're tempted to employ a 34t or 36t at the rear, is to reduce the size of your chainrings instead. 32t is enough (and already well beyond spec) for any mainstream road mech.
Really? Even Campag are offering an 11-32 cassette option with the Potenza, and the current Shimano GS mechs are all rated 32T friendly.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
What RD has this bike got fitted, please?
TBH - I don't know what the rear mech is now the bike has "gone home". Shimano for sure. 105 maybe? He's been running a 32 on it without problems.

I agree on chainring reduction (I've done that on my bike) but so many bikes come with chainring BCD's that don't allow "proper" sized rings to be fitted. I could rant about how the industry doesn't provide useful gearing but I'm only attempting to do a pal a favour and am working with what's available.

FWIW I run a triple 44,34,24 and even with the 24 available I'm finding I need bigger sprockets. 32 for sure and looking at 36. Might eventually go for a 40. Don't want to be excluded from riding in the hills as I get older. Last year I found 24x28 on Corsica was marginal hence the 32 and upwards for this year's Dolomites ride. I've increased my little sprocket size too. Have run a 14 for some while now but with the 32 etc I'm going to need it'll be a 16 or even a 17. So widening the range isn't what I'm attempting for my needs. But YMMV

EDIT:- So for me at least I must sacrifice shifting efficiency so I can actually get a gear that will allow me to ride up the hill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom