Hanging a Bathroom Mirror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Thanks all - would fixing glue/paste work if it's just a mirror and not a cabinet?
We used a silicone adhesive to stick the substantial, glass, cooker splash-back to the wall - that ain't going anywhere without taking the wall with it!

newts

Veteran
Thanks all - would fixing glue/paste work if it's just a mirror and not a cabinet?
You can use mirror adhesive & prop in place whilst it dries. It needs the correct adhesive (neutral cure) for glass/mirrors/splashback to avoid the glue lines showing through or dissolving the the backing finish. You have to smash it to remove in the future.
This is the sort I used in our bathroom. Spendy but worth it.

https://www.toolstation.com/mexco-tdxcel-dry-diamond-tile-drill/p11292
I use these mexco drills regularly in 6 & 8mm for drilling porcelain, they're very good. You have to be careful when starting the hole off. Dry diamond/wax centre drills are the quickest for porcelain , I've tried almost every type of drill over the years.

Mr Celine

Discordian
HI all,
I'd appreciate a little advice for those who have vastly more DIY experience that me.
I need to hang a bathroom mirror - the John Lewis one's look ok - but the area I need to hang it tiled. There are holes and Rawlplugs where the old mirror was, but the chances of getting exactly the same are pretty minuscule.
If you don't want to drill holes in tiles get a glazier to cut a mirror to the right size and drill it to match the existing holes.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I find that the first couple of holes you drill in tiles are easy as pie, lulling you into a false sense of security before the last tile cracks or falls off the wall, revealing blown plaster behind. Or worse, a stud wall of sodden plasterboard over rotting timbers. Before you know it you've ripped and replaced the entire en-suite, which means you need to decorate the bedroom too.

Drill carefully.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Quick question before I hit the buy button. Do I also need to get masonry drill bits to drill past the tiles into the brick work behind or will these complete the job?
Thanks
I only had to drill through the tile and into a backing board. My guess is that they will be fine going into plaster/brickwork. Just for the record, I've never tried using them on glass. I hope it goes well.:okay:

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
By some strange piece of luck I did it, and it looks ok. Might try an extension next!

Last edited:

postman

Legendary Member
My solicitor has put a plea forward for a retrial.The mirror cannot be hung till all the facts have been looked at again.

Top Bottom