Happiness = £?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Glad you can "let it go". Easier said than done, especially from the comfort of my cosy armchair.

It's only money.

I'd be more pissed off at losing a sister.

Dave5N

Über Member
longers said:
Glad you can "let it go". Easier said than done, especially from the comfort of my cosy armchair.

It's only money.

I'd be more pissed off at losing a sister.

Not met mine, have you? ;)

MarkF

Guru
Smokin Joe said:
Money would only make you happy if you lived in poverty and it got you out of it. Otherwise it makes no difference because it is part of human nature never to be satisfied. Own a Jaguar and you feel hard done by because you can't afford a Ferrari.

Everyone would benefit by looking down and thinking how lucky they were compared to those worse off than themselves rather than looking upwards with envy at those with more.

Agreed:smile: No amount of money could improve my current state of contentment.

I have money now but have had more twice and lost it. The only time in my life that I was unhappy was the time I had the most money. I am over "stuff" now and do think how lucky I am every day.

Money can give you a feeling of security, and that can promote happiness. In our entire married life, there's never been a time when we haven't had to worry about bills and how to cope with unexpected expenses. We have very little freedom financially and like most people, our working hours are fixed and it doesn't look like early retirement is on the cards. So, in that sense, I'd enjoy the security money can bring if I had a little more.

OTOH, would I want the kind of job where you work all hours 7 days a week to fund the shiny new car, the 5 bedroom detatched, the private schooling etc etc? No thanks! Spending time with the family brings its own happiness.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Most of the research shows that beyond a certain amount necessary to be secure, more money doesn't make us any happier. Can't remember the exact figure for the UK.

BTW, if "it is part of human nature never to be satisfied" that doesn't necessarily imply that we should all naturally aspire to more in a material or financial sense. That's one aspect of it which, as a kind of envy and sense of inadequacy, is exploited by consumer capitalism, media, political parties all promising 'more' that they can't possibly deliver. But we don't have to be that way...

There's good aspects of that drive too though - not being satisfied with poverty, injustice and the world as it is. Being creative, scientific discovery etc. But that implies a kind of satisfaction with yourself and not worry about how others might see you, that allows you to deal with important things that are genuinely unsatisfactory...

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
£40k iirc

gbb

Legendary Member
Smokin Joe said:
Money would only make you happy if you lived in poverty and it got you out of it. Otherwise it makes no difference because it is part of human nature never to be satisfied. Own a Jaguar and you feel hard done by because you can't afford a Ferrari.

Everyone would benefit by looking down and thinking how lucky they were compared to those worse off than themselves rather than looking upwards with envy at those with more.

Going against the grain here...but money does'nt neccessarily bring happiness.
I've worked in Uruguay...the average wage was reputedly on a par with S Africa...LOW.
My colleague has worked in SAfrica, on the farms with black labour.
Both of our experiences were similar....despite the poor wages and living standard, they are remarkably happy people. Happier than most of the people i work with here who are getting a 'basic' wage.

Yes, of course if you gave them a million, they'd be happier....but they seem happy now ?

col

Legendary Member
Enough to pay the mortgage off would be very nice,with some left over to holiday too ,and a new bike,car,wardrobe of gear ect .

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
alecstilleyedye said:
£40k iirc

was it? I have to say that I was just as happy when there were three of us living on £5000 a year as I was alone living on £25,000. And now I am happy because of my wife, and I think we still would be whatever situation we found ourselves in...

Kirstie

Über Member
As I just said on another thread, I'd like enough money so I'd never have to work again, and so me and the other half could just do what we wanted.

I have no idea what happiness is. Half the problem with happiness is that peope look for it. Stop looking and it will find you.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Willow said:
£30k per annum say so I could work when I wanted, holiday and change the car when I wanted. mm now that doesn't sound enough. Maybe £50k per annum!

Dream dream ........................................................

I'd probably be happy doing all (not that I'd want to change a car all that often, even if I had one) that on 20k a year. As I've never earned more than 13k, I think 15k would seem like luxury!

But I'd be chuffed finding a penny in the street.

I can't deny a bit more money would make me slightly more carefree, but most of the things I really want are things money can't buy anyway.

Top Bottom