Happiness = £?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'd be happy to find the fiver that's gone missing from our living room…

Smokin Joe said:
Money would only make you happy if you lived in poverty and it got you out of it. Otherwise it makes no difference because it is part of human nature never to be satisfied. Own a Jaguar and you feel hard done by because you can't afford a Ferrari.

Everyone would benefit by looking down and thinking how lucky they were compared to those worse off than themselves rather than looking upwards with envy at those with more.

Spot on

Noodley

Kovu said:
That's me sad because I can't afford enough money to buy some decent make-up

Nah I'm just easy really.
(and not in that way).

It's not about your make-up bring decent, more about it's application! ;)

Willow

Smokin Joe said:
Money would only make you happy if you lived in poverty and it got you out of it. Otherwise it makes no difference because it is part of human nature never to be satisfied. Own a Jaguar and you feel hard done by because you can't afford a Ferrari.

Everyone would benefit by looking down and thinking how lucky they were compared to those worse off than themselves rather than looking upwards with envy at those with more.

Always someone who brings us back to reality with words of wisdom and correctness

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Smokin Joe said:

i agree wholeheartedly. it's like a club colleague of mine who makes the occasional comment like why i don't get a better bike. true, my bike is unspectacular compared to some of the other bikes i see on the club run, but it's better than what mercx had at his disposal, so who cares? if i could afford a carbon wonder bike i would, but i don't lose any sleep worrying that i don't have one.

in terms of the op, if i earned enough to allow mrs alecetc to not have to work, that would be good. but beyond that, i'm not really interested in defining my self worth by my salary cheque.

yenrod

Smokin Joe said:

Lend 'alec a fiver then......

;)

Money doesn't equal happiness....but it certainly helps not having to worry constantly about not having enough money and having to make decisions between going to the cinema or turning the heating on, etc.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
You know, I think happiness is the wrong word for it. I'm very content with what I have, and I think that if I had enough money so that I didn't have to work, I'd get bored very quickly.

Happiness is a fleeting, transient thing. Contentment is what lasts. I'm not wealthy - I live in an ex-council house and drive a twelve-year old pickup. I guess we have enough not to need to worry about the kind of things PunkyP mentions. But I'm content.

Well since (on the excellent advice of a dear friend who went through much the same thing) letting it go I'm as happy as I've ever been. She on the other hand, from what I've heard, is very depressed, drinking and smoking too much, put on loads of weight and can't get a job. I'll never see the money so I'm prepared to accept that as an outcome.

Top Bottom