Happy Burns Day

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
The filling contains sheep's lung but it was traditionally packed into a sheep's stomach.

My local Asda and Sainsbury's sell it at the beginning of January. I don't think there is much demand for the rest of the year.
I love haggis. I can always get it in my local supermarkets but now I think of it I don't check all year round. I've never had a "traditional" haggis though, only supermarket ones. not sure if they are good ones but they do taste good. I've no problem with offal as long as it's cooked. I bet we eat worse stuff in burgers and many other processed meat products

I love haggis. I can always get it in my local supermarkets but now I think of it I don't check all year round. I've never had a "traditional" haggis though, only supermarket ones. not sure if they are good ones but they do taste good. I've no problem with offal as long as it's cooked. I bet we eat worse stuff in burgers and many other processed meat products
McSweens Haggis is properly traditional and also widely available in supermarkets. They were originally a butchers shop in Bruntsfield, Edinburgh, now they have a dedicated plant in Loanhead, just outside Edinburgh. Both their normal haggis and their vegetarian version are very acceptable.

Willd

Veteran
1643128440270.png

T4tomo

Legendary Member
McSweens Haggis is properly traditional and also widely available in supermarkets. They were originally a butchers shop in Bruntsfield, Edinburgh, now they have a dedicated plant in Loanhead, just outside Edinburgh. Both their normal haggis and their vegetarian version are very acceptable.
I've had the Simon Howie ones that sainsburys stock.
1643129425456.png

I'm not a fan of offal generally but I really like haggis, combo with the oats and spices / herbs me thinks..it has a slight balck pudding texture / taste to it, which I also like. The son & I shared one earlier this month, twas very nice.

Last edited:

Chris S

Legendary Member

I think it depends on the local demographics. My local Lidl use to have Burn's Night specials in their middle lane but they'd have most of it left over the following week. They don't even bother stocking individual haggis now.

I agree about the burgers and processed meat products, I think most of them contain mechanically reclaimed meat.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Not for me thanks.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Old Robbie had a way with words. 😂

Cock Up Your Beaver
by Robert Burns

I.
When first my brave Johnnie lad
Came to this town,
He had a blue bonnet