Happy Christmas and help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Thanks for all the input so far! Had a look and I still can't see anything that resembles a serial number or anything.

Had a word with the pop and mentioned bill soens and now he's questioning himself as to weather he'd just said Quinn as he knew it was a Liverpool build. It was a long time ago!

A bit scared to take it out for a test ride at the moment as I'm not sure I trust the tyres, they're tubeless and seem to be holding PSI fine, would I be risking dried glue and the tyre coming off the rim after all these years? Should I just go for it?

Final question (for now, at least!) most of the changes im planning to make are going to be aesthetic with most, if not all of the machanics staying as they are, the only thing I do want to do is change the rear cassette to try and get at least a 28 on there, will this be possible with the current derailleur and where could I find such a thing?

age and the memorey oh what fun

for a ride round the block i should think the tubs will be fine just take it steady

midlife

Guru
I think the Soens shop closed at the end of the 60's which is before your frame was made.

Is there a name on the side of the tubs?

Shaun

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Some more photos on better light! Names are on the tubs, they appear to be different but both tread and colour is identical. Lots of life left in them if there's no intrinsic faults I think!

Any idea on the markings on the handlebars? I can't tell if it's actually the bars or a sort of insert until I get the bar tape off.

Also have the original saddle, appears to be a leather arius? Made in Spain apparently.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    134 KB · Views: 52
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.8 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Managed to get out for a wee blast last night and I have two main findings.

1. Mechanically Sound
2. 'King terrifying!

I realised quite quickly that I couldn't really reach the brake levers unless properly pushed into the drops, and coupled with it being the first time I hadn't used clip-less pedals in well over a year it was an "interesting" experience. If the reach is just too far on the brake levers am I just going to have to replace? I'd like to keep them if theres something obvious I'm missing.

I think a tasteful refurb with some modern features is in order here. Original bars and drivetrain/gearset. Get some decent brake blocks (koolstop I think), subtle chrome SPD pedals. Need to find someone who will do a good paint finish but I'm going to start stripping down/cleaning/degreasing etc this week. Might start a new thread for opinions and advice on that side!

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
You should try C&G Finishes of Liverpool they probably painted it originally.

Having looked into it, I think this is exactly the way it deserves to go. Thanks for the heads up!

Right, question time. The allen bolt on top of the stem is smaller than 8mm and larger than 6mm. Do 7mm allen keys even exist?! I know i certainly dont have one. Is it some silly imperial size?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Having looked into it, I think this is exactly the way it deserves to go. Thanks for the heads up!

Right, question time. The allen bolt on top of the stem is smaller than 8mm and larger than 6mm. Do 7mm allen keys even exist?! I know i certainly dont have one. Is it some silly imperial size?

normally 6mm sure its not just lost the edges ?

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
normally 6mm sure its not just lost the edges ?

Pretty sure. the inside edges still look "sharp" and theres not even a bit of catch on a 6mm key, which I would expect if it had been rounded out. An 8mm one wont even get close.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Okay! So, managed to get the forks off and no serial number on there. I have done some sanding on the bottom bracket and found 2 numbers stamped but no letters. Weird.

Any ideas?

1 and 9...

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
@mythste welcome to the fun world of trying to id a bike with no visable frame number markings

Fun? Pah. I laugh in the face of fun! Are there any other tell tale signs I should be looking at from your experience?

I'm going to book her into C&G for a nice new enamel job and maybe they find something after blasting. Who knows. Never the less I'll be getting fully stuck in to the renovation after and hopefully end up with a lovely retro machine that'll be great for summer sunday blasts.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Fun? Pah. I laugh in the face of fun! Are there any other tell tale signs I should be looking at from your experience?

I'm going to book her into C&G for a nice new enamel job and maybe they find something after blasting. Who knows. Never the less I'll be getting fully stuck in to the renovation after and hopefully end up with a lovely retro machine that'll be great for summer sunday blasts.

A few years ago I had a similar situation and had the frame blasted and when I went to collect it the guy who did the blasting pointed out some stamping on the rear of the seat post , so hopefully you will get lucky or they might be able to help I d it for you.

Lets hope you enjoy it once its all done, keep the updates coming

Top Bottom