Hard and hilly - 'Calderdale 70 miles-ish' from Todmorden, Sat, April 22nd, 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yesterday's forum ride went well so I am keen to organise the next one. This ride will be heavily based on a route developed on behalf of Calderdale council for this website which features many challenging routes which would be of interest to those planning rides in this area. (Of course, you could simply come on some of my rides instead :okay:)

The Calderdale 70 goes over some of my favourite roads and also features a few that I have not ridden before so I thought that we could give it a go. I have changed the route to suit @Littgull who lives in Littleborough and me in Todmorden. Littgull can ride over to join us at the start in Todmorden and we will return through Littleborough so he will cover the same route, only in a slightly different order. Start with me in Todmorden, or meet Littgull in Littleborough 30 minutes earlier and ride over with him.

The route is about 111 km (69 miles) long and is hilly. I mean VERY hilly. VERY hilly and some of the hilly bits are STEEP! That's a strong hint that you should join us if you like tough, scenic climbs, and avoid this ride like the plague if you don't! :okay: :laugh:

So, book the day off and put the date in your diary. I expect it to be an all-day ride, getting back to Littleborough at about 16:30 and Todmorden at about 17:00.

We like to ride along at a steady pace and chat a lot, except on the steep stuff!

More details later.

Please express your interest below. It would be nice to get at least another 4 or 5 riders to join Littgull and me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The route ... (Head east out of Tod, and loop clockwise back through Mankinholes):

Tod Calderdale 70 route.jpg

Elevation profile:

Tod Calderdale 70 elevation profile.jpg

Nice and lumpy! :okay:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry Colin, got another clash so I cant make this one. That does look a good route though.
Oh well ... You know where to find us for rides later in the year! :okay:

I will ride this weekend's Spring Into The Dales and then make a bit more effort to get people interested in this ride.

I'm thinking that I might suggest a 'mention list' to people who have ridden with me before. I keep on top of what is happening in the rides section of the forum but I know a lot of people miss some of what is going on here. I could 'tag' everybody in such a list in the first post of each new ride thread of mine. That way, they would all get alerts to make them aware of the new thread. (They could just 'follow' me, but then they would have to check out all the other stuff that I post about and might not fancy doing that! :laugh:)

doughnut

Veteran
Yes, tagging me in the first message would be good. I look at CC quite regularly, but sometimes I can go several days without looking at the the forum so I might miss your message if its gone down the list a bit because of a flurry of newer messages.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I'm up for this as long as the weather holds okay (my bike with mudguards wouldn't really be up to it).

I have put myself in for a few of Colin's rides and ducked out but I do mean it! I generally do quite well with hills, although the distance will have me flagging a bit by the end probably, as for the last year or so my rides have mostly been under 90 minutes....

Looks like a great route.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm up for this as long as the weather holds okay (my bike with mudguards wouldn't really be up to it).

I have put myself in for a few of Colin's rides and ducked out but I do mean it! I generally do quite well with hills, although the distance will have me flagging a bit by the end probably, as for the last year or so my rides have mostly been under 90 minutes....

Looks like a great route.
It would be nice to meet you.

If you found yourself flagging towards the end (or just didn't fancy going back via Littleborough and Todmorden) you could take a shortcut home via Cragg Vale.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I had intended to head up Shaw Wood Rd to Mankinholes but I rode up there today and the road was closed for roadworks. I managed to squeeze through today because a gap had been left between the fence panels across the road, but we can't count on that. Let's go up Woodhouse Rd to Lumbutts instead. It will very slightly shorten the route.

I'll meet @Littgull and any other starters from Tod opposite Lidl at 10:00. @Starchivore - if you do come along, you might as well meet us down by Woodhouse mill at about 10:10, unless you particularly feel like riding into Tod and immediately back the way you came?

ANYBODY ELSE INTERESTED? It will be a great scenic tour of the district so fit some big sprockets and small chainrings to your bike and sign up below! :okay:

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Ah yeah, I'd seen that road closure at Shaw Wood, but didn't make the connection with it affecting this route.

Yes, I'm happy to meet at the mill- thanks. Looking forward to the challenge.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've just realised that I haven't looked for a mid-ride cafe. I'll do that later today.

I have now decided to ride towards Littleborough to pick up Littgull, and then turn and come back through Tod with him. (This is so I can get 75 miles in for the day.) We will still be passing Lidl at about 10:00 and Woodhouse mill at 10:10.

IT IS STILL A LOW TURN-OUT. THERE MUST SURELY BE SOME OTHER HILL-LOVERS IN THE AREA? :laugh:

Svendo

Guru
Afraid I'm on a family weekend. I did see you on the road last Sarurday Colin. I was going towards Hebden up up the lights and you were going down towards Tod. I said hello, then recognised you and shouted after you but couldn't turn and pursue as I had the baby boy on the back. (See photo). image.jpg
I'd also check if woodhouse road is open up to Lumbutts, I've not looked but think at least some of the time you can only get up via Lumbutts Rd, past my house.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Afraid I'm on a family weekend. I did see you on the road last Sarurday Colin. I was going towards Hebden up up the lights and you were going down towards Tod. I said hello, then recognised you and shouted after you but couldn't turn and pursue as I had the baby boy on the back. (See photo). View attachment 348097
I'd also check if woodhouse road is open up to Lumbutts, I've not looked but think at least some of the time you can only get up via Lumbutts Rd, past my house.
Ah, I had a vague feeling it was you ... :hello:

I did the same thing with Oldfentiger a few weeks ago over Padiham way - rode past and then it dawned on me who it was!

The other road was closed a while back but they seem to have reopened it now. Cars were driving down there on Saturday and the closure signs had gone.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Sorry Colin,

My aging dad has not been well and his care is taking up more and more of what free time I have. What does remain is spent with the wife/kids and this leaves precious little opportunity to spend a full day out on the bike......

Next long day I've got scheduled is the TDY sportive and then @nickyboys LLandudno outing.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I have found a cafe at a garden centre in Greetland. It is about 2/3 of the way through the ride so make sure you have enough food and drink to last for about 4.5 hours.

Sorry Colin,

My aging dad has not been well and his care is taking up more and more of what free time I have. What does remain is spent with the wife/kids and this leaves precious little opportunity to spend a full day out on the bike......

Next long day I've got scheduled is the TDY sportive and then @nickyboys LLandudno outing.
Sorry to hear about your dad - it's difficult when parents start to become frail. I hope he gets well soon, if possible.

I am doing the TDY sportive too. I am going with a Scottish cousin but he is much fitter than me so he will zoom off at the start and I won't see him again until the finish. If you would like some company for the ride, let me know and we can arrange to meet up.

Have you seen the brutal start to the sportive? Almost immediately up the vicious Pea Royd Lane climb! There will be hundreds of people walking up it. I just hope that they leave room for those of us with low enough gears to cycle past them. It is the sort of climb that you would struggle to remount on if someone forced you to stop. I hope that I get a chance to do a bit of a warm up first because I really struggle on steep climbs from a cold start.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've managed to blag a free entry via the club and Full Gas Cycling (the bike shop at the Start/Finish).
Only "drawback" is that I have to wear Full Gas kit and act as a "Ride Angel" assisting people with route/mechanicals etc - don't know the full details yet, but suspect my start time and expected pace will be pretty much pre-set.

Top Bottom