Hard tail confusion help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

d16gsy

Hi I'm new to this forum and been out of biking for some 10 years apart from 2/3 years ago jumping in a cheap get Avalanche that I loved every second of riding but sold due to not using it much.
I'm now at a point where I have a bit more time and want a bike not a huge budget max £450 so was looking at used bikes, I understand the get Avalanche is an old bike and I've had people turn there nose up at it, I went into local store yo ask advice as I was buying a used got Avalanche frame powder coat then slowly build up with medium spec parts used / new/ last years sale bits etc to hopefully make a bind with lighting parts and good forks, I want the bike mainly for rough bridal ways and a little more challenging rides especially as time goes on, then I've seen in the shop I can get what looks to be a good entry level bike for £450 cube aim 27.5 disc sl, I'm now thinking would I be better off on a newer bike like this? Or carry on with something I felt comfortable riding? I did originally plan to have fixed front cog and rears cassette still prob 8spd ? Any advice received will be grateful for cheers James

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I take it you mean a GT? If it is a newer one with 100mm suspension and disc brakes, it'll be fine. The only difference would be the 26" wheels which people coped with no problems until the industry decided sell people large wheels as the new vital thing.

My 1988 Saracen copes OK with Cannock Chase although as the years go by brakes that work without frantic heaving at the levers look more attractive.

I'm looking at spending around £450 on a bike for my daughter and have decided to try a 650b (Jamis) and a 29 (Saracen Kili) and see which she looks most comfortable on. At that price range it looks mostly Alivio and Acera with the odd no name hub and cassette thrown in as well.

If you already have a good quality frame, why no build it up?

Edited to say: A big welcome to the forum!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I just recently rebuilt my 21yr old GT Zaskar with modern 9spd parts and disc brakes and it will still perform and out-perform most bikes on the trail. I have also just bought 2 brand new Avalanches, one for oldest son and the other for my wife. My wife loves her GT Avalanche Elite. I chose it because it is a great spec although it would be pushing your budget limits as the RRP the current 2015 model is £580.

Top Bottom