Hard-wiring dashcams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

siadwell

Guru
I bought a Kenwood dashcam and am considering hard-wiring it because the supplied cable has a massive cigar lighter male end that gets in the way of the gearstick and also it seems to mess with the car's USB socket functionality (iPhone won't connect). Car is a 2019 VW Polo.

Any views on how easy this is to DIY, and whether I should get a Kenwood or generic kit?

Thanks!

OldShep

Über Member
I fitted a dash cam to my Octavia a few years ago. Found it really easy and piggy backed a fuse which is activated by the ignition key. Hiding the wire behind trims is easy and looks good.

Tight Git

Veteran
I've done a couple - father's Mercedes C200 and my MG4 - it's not that difficult to do. Most cars now seem to have YouTube videos of how to do it so have a look there.

Also worth checking out any forums for your model of car for advice.

Adam4868

Guru
Easy job as other have said just piggy backing a fuse, personally I pick a fuse that comes on with the ignition such as my car radio.Others maybe want a permanent live.
Any generic kit will do the job as long as the dashcam lead is compatible...about a tenner.
Screenshot_20240104-090826.png

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
As others have said, fairly easy if you use the "piggyback fuse" method.

Why not have look on Youtube and watch a couple of the many videos showing how it is done?

Top Bottom