Hardisty

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
This rather purple machine finally arrived after i agreed to buy it about 6 months ago , but for one reason or another it's only just arrived .

IMG_20181102_124037458.jpg

Full Reynolds 531 competition tubing a 3 x 7 gear set up that should get me up most climbs locally .

IMG_20181102_124043333.jpg

The gent i got the bike from had owned it for 10 years and told me this about the bike and the original owner . " One touching story. It comes with a small saddle bag. When I looked in I found the following: chain removing tool in tiny separate purse; inner tube and levers; small fine pliers; Allen keys banded together; tiny simple pen knife; old rag; twine and a segment of tyre (for blow outs!!) and, most engagingly, a tiny purse holding £2-37p, for the cup of tea at end of ride out! Jim, as he was called, was a proper thrifty Northern cyclist. I should add that the wheels are unmatched, presumable because he got a better deal on that than a matching one! Originally the were toe clips but these fell apart and I recycled the pedals." The original owner had to stop cycling due to a very serious illness in his 70's . PS the owner is (was?) a lovely Geordie. iHe was not a wealthy fellow and his good wife wanted to sell the bike. I gave what she asked as to quibble would have been heartless. The bike was meticulously maintained."

IMG_20181102_124337106.jpg

So far only had chance to do a 3 mile ride and it feels nice , hoping to get a few miles in on tomorrow am .^_^

Last edited:
7-speed mega-range, decent all round gearing. Nice!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Lovely bike Martin with a lovely story. It looks like he embraced the newer developments as I think that's a hollowtech crank I spy?
Looks like the tool kit will come in handy if only for the oily rag :smile:.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Lovely bike indeed.However the contents of the saddlebag tell a story.Facinating.
You must keep it intact as it's real history.

the second owner has left me some of the original contents , although the saddlebag is a bit moth eaten so will use another bag but keep the original

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I was going to say lovely but as it's already been done I'll say lush.

Top Bottom