Hardknott Pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hyslop

Veteran
La"al Ratty every time:thumbsup:Oh yes,sound advice Marra!

jongooligan

Legendary Member
Only done it once and not likely to do it again as I'm 25 years older and 3 stone heavier. Seem to remember it was so steep that I kept pulling the front wheel off the ground. Couldn't really fly down either as it was very slippery and also lots of gravel about.

Only done it once and not likely to do it again as I'm 25 years older and 3 stone heavier. Seem to remember it was so steep that I kept pulling the front wheel off the ground. Couldn't really fly down either as it was very slippery and also lots of gravel about.
The surface was quite reasonable when I did it back in September from Ambleside to Ravensglass direction. The only issue was a rather large crack down the centre of the single track as you started the descent off the hardknott pass, prior to the first left hand hairpin bend. I found myself on the right hand side of it luckily (best line IMO) my husband was on the left of it.

The only other issues were the tourists :whistle: who couldn't drive down it had enough for 2 fully laden touring cyclists who wanted to go faster! Though one kind sole did pull over for me to go passed him but that could have been sick more than anything else!

Just make sure you have good brakes and blocks and trust them.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I did it from the Eskdale side back in 2013 (my write up here) It's tough but doable with the right gearing and as mentioned upthread, it's less steep in the middle of the climb which gives a chance to recover slightly between the serious bits.

Accomodation-wise I'd suggest the Black Bull in Coniston.

Top Bottom