Hardknott Pass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PMB

hardknott-n6246.jpg
20080804_HARDKNOTT_EAST_SIDE.JPG

Has anyone climbed this before?

I've been up it in the car and its hard enough to negotiate all those hairpin bends in 1st gear!!

I'm a pretty keen cyclist but just cant ever see a time where i would be able to climb Hardknott

So, is it as hard as it looks? I know those who have ridden the FWC have to climb it, and it seems to be the toughest climb in the Uk as far as I'm aware. Would be interested to hear stories and see pics from your attempts

Paul

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
It's tough, especially when it comes as the last but one climb at the end of the Fred Whitton sportive. I usually find the Eskdale side slightly easier than from the Duddon as it comes it two distinct parts with a bit of a breather in between.

But what really helps is having a quiet road so you can choose your 'line of attack' and weave around at will. When it's crowded with either cars or other riders, it's many times harder.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
Yes the ascending is hard but the descending can be equally problematic.

Brake-melt is a problem as the rubber blocks heat-up on the rims. A few years ago, I was very lucky to come to halt. The warning was a strange hissing sound as the rubber turned to a molten oily substance on the rims. You have been warned!

RedBike

Yes, I've even done it on a Cyclo-x bike pulling a loaded trailer (touring).
Even though I had fitted a MTB chainset to give me a bottom gear of 22/27 I was crying out for a lower gear.

The best bit was passing a bunch of roadies pushing up while pulling the trailer. The look on their faces was priceless.

The worst bit. Having to walk back down the other side as I was too chicken to ride it.

PaulB

Legendary Member
We went up there last week in a car and I thought that tough enough as it is on a bike, the negotiation problems would add enormously to the attempt as the road would also carry motor vehicles. Some of the bends are so tight in steep parts and the road is so narrow, it would be almost impossible to simultaneously have a car overtaking a bike or a bike and car passing safely travelling in opposite directions. The 4x4 driver who would fancy his car up there would add to the problems because of the additional size of his vehicle. Also, we faced a point where an oncoming tractor took up the entire width of the road and there was no way a cyclist could get past this thing.

longers

Legendary Member
I'd like to have a go, even if that photo makes me feel a bit sick.
I can sort out a loop from somewhere with free camping. Maybe in Autumn if I get my finger out?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
longers said:
I'd like to have a go, even if that photo makes me feel a bit sick.
I can sort out a loop from somewhere with free camping. Maybe in Autumn if I get my finger out?
Just promise me one thing - you won't be riding your fixie will you! :smile:

Ride over here and have a go at Mytholm Steeps first and remember that Hardknott will be at least 20% harder than that!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
The only time I attempted it was after 100 miles of the FWC and I had to push up most of it. Part of me would like to try it when fresh, but a larger part tells me it's too much for an old bloke like me!

longers

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
Just promise me one thing -

Behave!

I do fancy a crack at it this year, from where I can stop easily it should be a steady seventy mile round trip or so - possibly with ferry. I can find a reasonably flat field for anyone not local who fancied it.

theloafer

Legendary Member
been over it a few times ..one of my fav places the lakes..;) took a cycling buddy from the south (horsham) over for a weeks tour to show him what real hills are like...lol did the one up to watendlath tea cafe- honister- newlands-cleater moor-hardknott-wrynose(west-east)two panniers a bar box... the drop down from hardknott is steepish....have yet to try it east-west (it keeps nagging away at me though)

Top Bottom