hardtail help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

Mr Pig said:
The weight is a consideration, I reckon a steel bike will be about two-pounds heavier than the equivalent steel one, which makes a difference.

i assume ou mean a steel bike will be 2lbs heavier than an equivalent aluminium bike?

Depends on what budget you can go to. Was out riding with a mate the other week, he has a trek that he paid in the region of £1000 for, and has a smaller frame size than my Cove. When he lugged both bikes over a stile he commented that he was surprised how light the Cove was, it wasn't lighter than his, but I think the black paint job and oversize down tube means the bike looks heavier than it really is.

But then the Cove when I got it was a £350 steel frame, and was built up for not much more than £1100, I think with steel it really is a case of you get what you pay for.

Mr Pig

Jonathan M said:
i assume ou mean a steel bike will be 2lbs heavier than an equivalent aluminium bike?

Yes. I know it's a generalisation. I came up with the figure because at the time I bought my bike Genesis did an aluminium bike called the Core which had exactly the same components as the Altitude 00 bolted to a alu frame. It was two pounds lighter and looking at a few other bikes that seemed to be about the size of it. Obviously, if you buy a better, more expensive, steel bike it will be lighter and could easily be lighter than some aluminium ones. The frame is just one part of the deal.

I noticed the difference straight away. As soon as I went out on the Altitude I knew it was slower. However I enjoy riding it much more which for me is more important. If I'd wanted to cover the ground as quickly as possible I would've bought the rockhopper but I'd rather be happy to ride the bike for two hours instead of wanting to get off it after one.

Matty

I have recently acquired a Giant XTC4, not too disimilar to your proposed Talon0. It is excellent. Really comfy, comparing to a 1991 Kona Cindercone. Big fat 2.1" tyres, suspension, flies over fields/tracks.

I've used it for commuting on the road once or twice, only ~1 or 2 mph slower than the Kona (which is running slicks).

Matt

Top Bottom